Think I should enjoy this while it lasts.....

Last night my 11 y/o & I were having some snuggle time. She said, "Would it sound lame to say you are my best friend? I tell you everything & you are the only friend I can kiss." :) My heart melted. She's right on the cusp of adolescence & I really hope I can keep being her best friend.

Now, before you say to be her mom not her friend, let me just say I do plenty of mothering. I think it's possible to be both.

Sorry, I guess it's not really a ques., I just had to share that sweet moment. Feel free to share some of yours. :)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:26 AM on Nov. 9, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• She will remain this way because there is a bond there that will not break, my girls are still this way and they are adults....

Answer by older at 6:46 AM on Nov. 9, 2013

• You two will always have this because of the wonderful mothering you obviously do. But the teen years might be rocky. My mom and I were best friends in the end, but had a couple of rough years during my teens. We had the foundation, like you do, that made it through the storms. Happy for you.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Awww
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:47 AM on Nov. 9, 2013

• What a nice moment!!

Comments about "being their parent not their friend" never make much sense to me. It's usually a criticism of parents having no limits, and trying never to upset/disappoint their child or "be the bad guy," labeled as "trying to be their child's best friend." As if actual good friends are inauthentic about their real feelings & just try to keep you happy so you will "like" them? I think actual healthy friendship & good parenting are pretty analogous, overlapping in many respects when it comes to relating. What is going on when parents "try to be their best friend" typically isn't anything that would be characterized as good friendship, and I think it's a mistake to label THAT as the problem.

Notice that her reference point in labeling your relationship as she did was that she tells you everything & feels really close to you. Not permissiveness (you're my "best friend" because I always get my way, etc.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:43 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Hope it last for you. Come back in 2,3 years and tell us if she hates you. At least that is what she will say to your face.

Answer by louise2 at 6:30 AM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Oh Louise, I sure hope you are wrong about that. My boys never said that to me. They cursed at me a couple of times, but never the "H" word. I really can't imagine my dau saying it to me either. She's quite the sweetie.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 6:35 AM on Nov. 9, 2013

• <3
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:34 PM on Nov. 9, 2013