First sleepover, and weirdest dream ...

My five-year-old had her first sleepover last night with a non-family friend. It was a spontaneous invitation, so I didn't really have time to get myself ready emotionally for it, or worry over it. Good thing, bad thing, I don't know. I packed her up, sent her off, and enjoyed a quiet evening with my boyfriend, the first we'd had in ages.

But last night I had one of the most vivid dreams I can ever remember living through. I dreamed that my daughter came into my bedroom, whispering urgently for me to wake up. I sat up, knowing she wasn't in the house, but absolutely sure she was there by the bed. I remember fighting off sleep, certain she was at her friend's house, but trying to think through the fog how she could have walked home, why no one was with her, why no one had called, where the adults were, where the police were,, etc. I stumbled physically out of bed and reached for her, but of course she wasn't there. Wide awake by then, I went through the whole condo, trying unsuccessfully to find her because the voice had been so real I couldn't quite convince myself I had been dreaming. I woke up my boyfriend, who told me, of course, that it was just a dream and I needed to get a grip and go back to sleep. I thought I should call the place where my daughter was at, just in case, and he wisely said they were all sound asleep and I would wake up their household for nothing. I called this morning as soon as the hour was decent and he was right, as expected. But it was so real. I couldn't shake off how creepy it was.

So was it just first time jitters? Have any of you other moms had an experience like that?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• I believe there is an incredible bond between Mother & child. Maybe she was dreaming she was home looking for you. I swear sometimes I wake in the middle of the night, lay there then suddenly I hear one of my kids call me for something. Like I wake before they need me so I hear them. You never know!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• We don't do many of them for several reasons. This could be your subconscious talking to you or perhaps she was awake in the middle of the night and you picked up on that? Either way, it sounds like everything worked out okay so that's good. Does seem like a weird dream though!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:13 PM on Nov. 9, 2013