Ignorance regarding Buddhist altar in my local Chinese restaurant

I think I went through every emotion there is when I heard what these 2 people said.
The restaurant has a small altar with a Buddha statue,incense,a small gong,and a bowl of water with coins in it
The woman asked her SO what was with the bowl of coins,and he said they probably had to pool their tips,and that was them. She then said no,I think it has something to do with the fat guy statue. The guy said,"wow,can you say worshiping false idols?!"
I opened my mouth to say something,but realized that it would all be in vain. Where would I even start?
Yeah,who would suspect the CHINESE owners to be Buddhist,right?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• People are stupid. Damn, I say that way too much, don't I? But they are, and say there's not much we can do about it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• I wonder how much spit and/or mucus they got in their food...
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 10, 2013

• It seems more people than not do not have a clue that there are other people and other faiths outside their own little existence.

It doesn't help that since 9/11, it's being taught as something to be proud of. People brag about how they don't know anything beyond Christianity and don't want to know, as if their intentional stupidity is a virtue.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:13 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• That guy seriously needs a mute button. How rude on both counts!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 6:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• It's a shame that stupid people don't seem to be embarrassed about spewing shit like that out of their mouths...
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 8:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

•  

^^ My new life motto^^  Applies nicely here.  lol.  You did the right thing!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:16 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• I've learned to just roll my eyes, shake my head & laugh at the ignorant.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:29 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• I cringe at this. STFU comes to mind. Really, if you have a curiosity, kindly ask but ignorance and disrespect seem to go hand in hand in this world. It is my suspicion most people get it and view the situation you witnessed for what it was. "hopefully!"
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:46 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• the fact that they didnt even know that the "fat guy statue" was a Buddha shows their ignorance...i mean he's pretty recognizable in all his various forms. so im gonna go with they just know nothing of other faiths. sadly, most Americans tend to be pretty ignorant of religions outside of Christian and Jewish.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• The ignorance is painful, but unfortunately common. It seems more people than not do not have a clue that there are other people and other faiths outside their own little existence.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2013