how do you get kid to stay in time out

I have a 4yr old boy . and he will not stay in time out I have try EVERTHING but it just does work

mommy4184

Asked by mommy4184 at 6:56 PM on Nov. 9, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Time for a new type of punishment

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Keep putting him back and telling him the time does not start until he sits there. Do it if he misses dinner, etc.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• you ick him up put him there, over and over and over even if it wears you down you don't "back down"
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:11 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• persistence
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• duct tape....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• just kidding :)

I never used that form of punishment, but as with any, I would think the key is consistency....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Really? Do you put him in a chair so that at least two sides are to the walls? Do you stand an watch him and block his getting up if he tries?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Time out doesn't work with all kids, but many times parents give up because they don't try long enough. Supernany would tell you to take him to the time out spot over and over and over until he stays. It can take a long time. Stay CALM and be matter of fact, not angry. You also might get some library books on disciplining children to learn other ways to discipline. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:57 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Perhaps time out isn't the punishment for you. Maybe 1, 2, 3 take away a toy? More communication? Something? Boys are hard, they are all over the place.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:48 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• I have a feeling people are not going to like what I am going to say, but I will say it anyways. Dd used to try to throw herself on the ground when I would put her in time out, or kick me. She has 3 seconds to get her act together and stand in time out for the amount of time required or she gets spanked. She rarely gets spanked because she realized she would much rather stand in the corner facing the wall than get spanked.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:08 PM on Nov. 9, 2013