My 2 year old son is not eating and I am very worried what do I do to get him to eat?

During he day all he wants is sweets, I wait for him to say he's  hungry but he never says any thing so i make him somthing and he lets it sit on the table. He only eats maybe 5 bites a day. Please help me.

Margretmom23

Asked by Margretmom23 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 9, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Delete all the sweets in the house and replace them with granola bars, yogurt, fruit.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 8:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Don't have sweets in the house and certainly don't feed them to 2 year olds.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• So.... the problem is? Let him cry. He'll eat when he's good and hungry...

OMG..... I just repeated what my mother used to say....

The real problem is that you can't stand to hear him cry, right??? Look, if all else fails, give him one of those nutritional supplement drinks and he'll think he's drinking chocolate milk. As far as him crying though.... that's a fact of life.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:35 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Not good to have all those sweets in the house. Change to only healthy foods including fruit. When he's hungry he will eat. The transition will take a few days of crying, but will be worth it. Google healthy foods for babies/children
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:42 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Thank you for the advise I did buy granola bars. He thinks they are cookies! I also bought Jell-O with fruit in it.
    Margretmom23

Comment by Margretmom23 (original poster) at 8:49 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Kids usually love fresh fruit too
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:52 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Okay- Hi! Granola bars and Jell-o are perhaps a start... Still sweets though. Perhaps consider seeing a nutritionist? Or shopping in the produce department?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:23 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Kids can be picky eater....

Try some new things, scrambled eggs, granola, toast with peanut butter, yogurt, oatmeal, dry cereal, cooked veggies, diced up lean meats, diced cheeses, fruits/ especially bananas.....
    If you put him in a high chair and let him feed himself ( with the things practical for him to do so) he will have fun with it. Good Luck.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:45 PM on Nov. 9, 2013

• Step one: Put sweets on a very top shelf
    Step two: Set regular meal and snack times and stick to them
    Step three: Sit together at meal times. He doesn't have to eat- just has to sit there
    Step four: Don't patronize or pester him about eating.
    Step five: If he eats a decent amount of dinner let him have a small sweet later- praise him for eating his healthy foods.
    Step six. Don't give in. Ever. Give in once and you have to start all over.
    Anonymous

• Just stop giving him crap. Starting sitting him down for meals/snacks at meal/snack times with healthy food on his plate. When dinner is over remove the plate. If he is hungry he will eat at the next meal/snack time. He won't starve to death.

In case we are not clear healthy foods include but are not limited to:
    *fresh fruit (apples, pears, berries, melons)
    *steamed veggies (carrots, peas, green beans)
    *Lean meats (chicken, turkey, fish-not breaded and fried)
    *whole grains (bread, crackers, some muffins)
    *pasta
    *cheeses
    *yogurt (you could even add fruit)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:21 PM on Nov. 9, 2013