Is it wrong to 'upgrade' your engagement ring?

First off let me state, this is not my idea! I absolutely adore my engagement ring.
Truth is I think my partner is out of ideas for Christmas gifts, and he's recently got himself a well paid job.
He asked me last night if I was happy with my ring, to which I instantly said 'yes!' He then offered to but a 'better one.'
I jokingly said 'no woman in their right mind would say no to a bigger diamond! But I am more than happy with the one I have.'
What are your thoughts on this?

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 7:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2013 in Relationships

• If it makes him happy to share his good fortune by upgrading the ring to a status he thinks you deserve then by all means. If for sentimental reasons you want to keep the original ring, then do that and just let him buy another ring but you go with him so he picks one that you both agree on.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2013

• There's nothing wrong with it. Celebrate the new job. I upgraded my ring after 30 years of marriage because my tastes had changed, but I kept the original diamond and added several stones on either side. The original stone meant too much to me because my husband had scrimped and saved to afford the largest stone he could (just under a carat). Things change over time. If it is a mutual decision, go for it! Congrats!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:03 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• I did

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• This one is tough. My wedding rings were bought almost 9yrs ago when we were 19, didn't have a lot of money from Walmart. We all know Walmart is not known for it's quality. Both bands on the wedding ring and engagement ring have broken. They are still wearable but it bothers me. I am scared they will get damaged or lost so I have been thinking I would like an upgrade on our 10yr anniversary, but we will see.
    I think if your Husband is the one to bring it up it is less hurtful than if you were the one to bring it up/
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• I did it after we were married a few years. What happened was that my center stone was set in a high setting & the setting bent & the stone became loose at work one day. So I went to a Jeweler for a new setting. I ended up making a Past, Present & Future ring. I used my original diamond as the center stone & added two more diamonds. One for either side. I love it! So I would keep the stone you have since it is sentimental & add to the setting. OR! Wear your present stone as a diamond solitaire reset for a neck chain & get a new engagement ring.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• I don't feel it should be exchanged for a bigger one, too much sentimental value. But if he wishes, it could be enhanced- keeping the original diamonds. A jeweler would know what could be done to enhance it.

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• If both of you agree to it, I think it's a lovely idea.

We didn't upgrade my diamond, but my husband gave me an eternity band for our 20th anniversary. I have a band, diamond, band ring set. So I put the eternity band between one of the plain bands and my diamonds. It gives my wedding set a whole new look.

I think it's very sweet that your husband wants to upgrade your diamond. If you are very attached to your diamond (and I hope you are), you might suggest a forever ring - the three stones that ILovemyPaulie did - using your diamond as the center stone as she did. Or you might ask for an eternity band. Of course you can trade in what you have and do a full upgrade. It's completely up to you.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• Tell him some thing else you want. Like a neckless or ear rings. Even though he asked. That should not be upgraded.

Answer by louise2 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• We're replacing my wedding band, so I'll probably have the diamond reset into something that fits with the band. My original one didn't work together, so I could only wear one or the other without it looking silly.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• I think a vacation would be a good present. I am not one for expensive jewelry though, I like the idea of adding the diamond into another setting if you want one.
    Are you married already? He could use the money towards your wedding.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:30 AM on Nov. 10, 2013