Is It O.K. to Kill Cyclists?

Is It O.K. to Kill Cyclists?

Longer article, but good read. It covers the penalties and laws on the 2nd part.  Is it right that so many people don't even get a ticket if they kill someone in a bike?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I do think the penalty should be harsher, but at the same time, the cyclists need to not expect to just do whatever they want either. I frequently end up behind someone on a bike, riding in the middle of my lane, a line of cars behind me, traffic coming the other way and having to ride my brake and go 5mph because the person on the bike refuses to move to the side of the road and let us pass. If I can go into the other lane and go around you, fine, but deliberately holding up traffic is no more okay than me ramming into you because you're in my way. Of course, it also happens with people walking around here.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:54 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• There are a whole ball of issues that come into play with that. I've been in the situation where I am driving and the sun is right in my face, bammmmmmmm a cyclist is right there. I could have very easily hit them had I NOT been paying close attention. STOP...... then there's that. It's not always easy to give 100% attention to anything while you are driving with kids in the car, dogs, radios, talkings and then throw in cell phones.

It all depends on the circumstances. It is something I truly hate to see as much as I know they want rights to the roadway too. They're not in a protective vehicle... it's a bike. Argh....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:41 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• There's a weird vacuum though. If you hit a child in the street when they're on foot, you will probably get at least a ticket, at most vehicular manslaughter. If you hit a child in the street in the exact same spot, exact same circumstances, and they're on a bike, you're more likely to get nothing.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• Of course it's not ok, and penalties should fit the crime if you hit someone.

However... same road, same rights, same rules. Where I Iive, cyclists don't seem to get that. They blow through stop signs and red lights, they weave irratically through traffic, they cut cars off and don't signal turns... and they get pissed off if a car nearly hits them! Uh... had no idea you were turning, sorry asshole. There's one guy in our neighborhood who is notorious for being an asshole while on his bike, like he's special and the world must stop for him. Which is too bad because it's jerks like him who give all cyclists a bad reputation.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• I'll get back to this article later because I am curious what it says.
    Being from a state that is all about cycling, I have some major issues with how the laws tend to go in favor of the cyclist, even when they are at fault.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:50 AM on Nov. 10, 2013

• This is like most other things a case by case issue in my opinion. I can not tell you how many times I have been traveling at night and a cyclist is in the middle of the road or crossing the road and the bike is dark and they are dressed in dark clothes as well. I think the cyclist has the responsibility to travel at speed and safely. They also need to take the precautions to keep themselves safe.
    It would be wonderful if every city had bike paths, but they do not.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:10 PM on Nov. 10, 2013

• You might find this interesting too: http://www.10news.com/news/controversial-sign-in-the-east-county-suggests-motorists-should-run-over-bicyclists-11062013

"SAN DIEGO - A controversial and heavily misspelled sign is threatening the lives of San Diego's bicycling community.

It is a white wooden sign nailed to a tree on private property along Honey Springs Road east of Jamul.

The black painted words read, "It is better to run over a bicyclest [sic] then to get in a head on accedent [sic] because they don't share the road."

"Bicyclest" and "accedent" are spelled wrong and the sign-maker used "then" instead of "than."

English grammar and spelling aside, the sign has enraged the cycling community."

Answer by gdiamante at 2:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2013

• The black painted words read, "It is better to run over a bicyclest [sic] then to get in a head on accedent [sic] because they don't share the road."

And this is one more reason we use up the gas to drive DS to and from school every day rather than let him ride his bike the mile+ between home and school.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2013

• It is a good article. I live in Seattle where the mayor (not re-elected) took out lanes and made them into bike only lanes and removed parking spots for bike racks. While this is an interesting idea in theory, it enraged drivers. I'm on the fence. Seattle has so much water around it, the roads are precious because it's not like Kansas where you have the room to add roads for either drivers or cyclists. We have such bad gridlock here I've seen ambulances with sirens blaring, sitting in traffic because they simply cannot move. Scary.

They turned a major six lane road here and made one lane for bikes......but only during certain hours. So this confused all of us and it posed danger while we tried to cram into the two lanes, leaving the cycle lane open with no one in it. And it's the lane with all the retail businesses on the side. Honestly, cyclists and cars just don't mix in my opinion. We have so many deaths in Seattle
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:39 PM on Nov. 10, 2013

• the mayor tries to cover it up. I've seen messenger guys get hit. When I'm driving with a cyclist nearby, I'm nervous. I actually almost hit a gal merging the other day on that six lane road I mentioned. Thank GOD I had my window down and she yelled at me. I freaked. Should they get killed without a ticket to the driver? Man, it really depends on the circumstance. We've had cycle lanes literally shoved down our throats. No one is used to it and while we become accustomed to it, there are going to be many more deaths. Moreover, does weather play a role because it rains nine months out of the year here. Few people biking in the rain as far as commuting goes. Also, you can't always see them. I do not bike around my city but I walk a ton. I use sidewalks and paths through parks to do this. Wish there was a better option for the cyclists.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:43 PM on Nov. 10, 2013