What do I need to do? My son has started to lie to his teachers at school.

His school teacher left in the middle of his kindergarten year, and he got a new one. I think that it may be him just having to adjust to the new lady. How do you guys handle the little lies, so that it does not get out of hand? Plus, the new teacher is just out of college. She has never taught before and I think she may be overwhelmed.

BrandonsMom1000

Asked by BrandonsMom1000 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You didnt say what the little lies were? Could they be a misunderstanding from the mind of a little kindergarten child who sees something different? If you get to the bottom of whether he is really telling lies rather than misunderstanding something....and you determine he is telling lies, pay attention if he is doing it at home or just at school. If it is just as school, talk to the teacher and to your child to determine what is occurring that he is doing it only at school.

On the www.cjkidz.com website there is a page where one of the fictional characters writes in her diary. it is called JanBannan's diary. It has post which contain little stories many of them contain lessons. There are actually three about telling "itsy bitsy lies" . It might be good to read it to your child to begin the conversation about telling lies. This is the direct link http://janbannan.cjkidz.com/wordpressmu/
    momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• First discuss the lies with your child. If they are admitted, ask if they can tell you why. Sometimes a child lies to stay out of trouble because they have seen others do it. My thing was always if you lie you will be punished for lying. If you tell the truth, you may still be punished or a privilege lost but lying makes it is 2 things done wrong. and 2 punishment or extended punishment. Also set up a meeting with the teacher and school guidance counselor. Your child may talk to a person outside the family as to the purpose of lying easier than to you,

seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 10:42 AM on Feb. 20, 2009