Gypsies

So, my latest Netflix binge has been "My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding" and follows the stories of modern Romnichal Gypsies living in America. I didn't even know such a culture existed, to be honest, and now I'm intrigued. Anyone live near a Gypsy community? Tell me more!

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 9:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2013 in Entertainment

• They lived near us in va. A huge group of them live in beckley, wv. I've never had to deal with them but we all knew who they were.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2013

• You should look up the original UK show, but try to find the ones that aired in the UK rather than the ones they aired in the US (if the narrator has an American accent, it's the censored version).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2013

• I meet a Gypsy when I was in Italy. My friend told me to stay away from them because they go to the bazaars and try to scam people. I too saw the show on Netflix. I have already watched the entire season because I was so intrigued by their culture. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2013

• I am part gypsy.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Gotta LOVE their '80's over the top style! They always look dressed up! That's one thing you don't see here in the USA anymore...
    Did you see the dresses light up??
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• How can you be part gypsy?
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 9:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• How can you be part gypsy?

Maybe one of her parents or grandparents was a gypsy and the other was a gorger?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• How can you be part gypsy?

Gypsy is actually a racial slur - its the equivalent of the n word, but in America, a lot of people don't realize that. The real terms are Roma or Traveler. The Romani are Indian who migrated across Europe. Travelers are Irish. Both have some branches that settled down with outsiders instead of staying with their family groups, and both have their own set of rules they live by - they're not interchangeable.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:10 AM on Nov. 13, 2013