Atheist "mega-churches' take root across US,world.

I one was close enough to your town, would you go? At least to see how it was?
I would, just to see how it was.

See this on yahoo.

Asked by louise2 at 7:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I would for sure.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Probably similar to unitarian services, just less broad
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• church to me, is a place of worship...so it would sound wrong to call it a church
    not sure what you should call it though...
    would I go? Maybe.
    are there any here? Never heard of one. I doubt it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:33 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• What do they do there? I'm curious.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• For me, if I wasn't going to worship it would be pointless. I do socialize with some people from my church but I have other social outlets as well. That's not why I go to church.
    And no, there are none I know of near me.

Answer by missanc at 11:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I think it's funny they call them a Mega church with only several hunderd people attending. That's no where near a Mega church.
    I do think they need a way to get together and enjoy myself but I just think it's funny they attach a religious term to a non-religious gathering.

Mega church:
    Average weekend attendance more than 2,000 people

Large church:
    Average weekend attendance between 301 and 2,000 people

Medium church:
    Average weekend attendance between 51 and 300 people

Small church:
    Average weekend attendance fewer than 50 people

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I go to church so I can worship my Creator-King. I wouldn't go to a church that didn't match my worldview, just to check it out. I would go to a community event with that same group of people if they were cleaning up a park or having a dance or some other social thing; I wouldn't have a problem getting to know them, in other words, but we would have nothing in common as far as our spiritual beliefs.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I don't get the philosophy... Isn't a church the gathering of people who have similar beliefs... usually to worship? Why not just get together at the park? What's the significance of building a church???
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• so im guessing they just meet and instead of worship they hear "sermons" that recharge their Atheist batteries? like maybe readings from Dawkins or Hitchens? and the rest is for the social climate of like-minded ppl? i dont see how its a church tho...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I would not know.
    To me it would be like having all Christians together under one roof all the time, I am not sure they could get along because the practices are different.
    Atheist would have Buddhists and Taoists and Satanists and Wiccans as well as a whole host of others that would not share the same beliefs and practices. It might be interesting to see how that difference is addressed. I can't say that it is good or bad. If it works, it will be a good thing for those that need and want it, like any other church.
    People work together with all different philosophies. Worshipping in what ever form sometimes is trickier.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2013