I did not know Atheists had churches, let alone mega churches.

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-mega-churches-root-across-us-world-214619648.html

Did you?

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 10:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't know about it until I just read your post. But I imagine it to be a good thing for people desiring more community in their life. I enjoy church bc it does involve God but I know that doesn't fit everyone
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• There have been Secular Humanist groups meeting up for as long as there have been Secular Humanists. Calling it a "church" is simply a way to make it relatable to people who cannot see beyond their own personal context. (the kinds of people who think atheists can't have morals, etc)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Atheists attend UU churches, too. You don't have to believe in God to want a community through which to cultivate virtues of humanity.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I think the big part of confusion is the thought that Atheists don't believe ANYTHING, which isn't true. Atheists merely do not believe in the existence of a god/gods. But they can, and often do, believe plenty about humanity, goodness, virtue, society, and so forth. There are whole religions that lack a theistic component - Confucianism, for example. Buddhism. Secular Humanism, so on. So Atheists are just as entitled as Theists are to coming together in community in order to cultivate those virtues or philosophies. The God component is not necessary for it to be "church." While Atheism is not a religion, I don't think that means that there can't be Atheist churches, as it allows those Atheists who are spiritually or philosophically (etc) inclined a chance to cultivate/practice that aspect of themselves in a wider community. Plus, given all the misinformation/ignorance about Atheists I think it's a good representative...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• So are Atheists now saying they are religious?

Of course not. Are you somehow threatened by someone using a word other people understand to explain something they otherwise don't understand?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I have been raised that a church is anywhere people congregate to join in fellowship, isn't that what the athiests are doing? So yeah, it would be considered a church to me.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 1:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Ballad I'm not really in a knot over it just giving my 2 cents. But for the others please don't bash Ballad. I've always respected her opinion. That's why this is the debate section.

I guess I just don't get why they would want to be called a church if they don't believe. This may be a poor example but it's the best I can come up with off the top of my head. A woman does not want to be called a B but to call a female dog a B is correct. Correct term for the correct animal. So why would an atheist want to be called something that's associated with religion? May not make sense for anyone else but it does in my mixuped head today.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• 'I guess I just don't get why they would want to be called a church if they don't believe."

Not all religions, or churches, are theistic. That's why.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I guess I just don't get why they would want to be called a church if they don't believe.

Everyone believes in something. The arrogance of suggesting only people who practice the "right" religions believe in anything is one of the biggest obstacles to communication. Similarly people who use the word religion when they mean Christianity or the word faith when they only mean faith in the Abrahamic god of the Old/New Testament and the Koran.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Ballad, answers like yours is why this site is dying. If you can't deal with two people disagreeing, stay out of the debate sections. We don't need a self-appointed mother we didn't ask for.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2013