I did not know Atheists had churches, let alone mega churches.

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-mega-churches-root-across-us-world-214619648.html

Did you?

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 10:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Heard about it on yahoo myself.

Answer by louise2 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I didn't know about it until I just read your post. But I imagine it to be a good thing for people desiring more community in their life. I enjoy church bc it does involve God but I know that doesn't fit everyone
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• There have been Secular Humanist groups meeting up for as long as there have been Secular Humanists. Calling it a "church" is simply a way to make it relatable to people who cannot see beyond their own personal context. (the kinds of people who think atheists can't have morals, etc)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I think the article is talking about the physical buildings and meeting places.
    Absolutely all the way back to the Renaissance humanists have been meeting up. Otherwise the ideas would have had difficulties in spreading.
    I simply was unaware of a physical "church" and as I said a mega one.. I do find it interesting that it is billed as a church.
    Not a criticism, just an interesting point.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Bings Definition of church.
    1.religious building: a building for public worship, especially in the Christian religion
    2.religion's followers as group: all the followers of a religion, especially the Christian religion, considered collectively
    3.religious service: a religious service that takes place in a church

So are Atheists now saying they are religious? I can understand the need to come together as a group but to say you're going to church is out of line when you say you don't believe in religion. Also hate to tell them but several hundred people are NOT considered Mega churches. A mega church numbers in the thousands not hundreds.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Mega church:
    Average weekend attendance more than 2,000 people

Large church:
    Average weekend attendance between 301 and 2,000 people

Medium church:
    Average weekend attendance between 51 and 300 people

Small church:
    Average weekend attendance fewer than 50 people

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• So are Atheists now saying they are religious?

Of course not. Are you somehow threatened by someone using a word other people understand to explain something they otherwise don't understand?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I'm not threatened by it simply gave the defination of a church. All the definitions I come across say religious.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I wouldn't have guessed that, but great. Whatever brings people together in community and offers them fulfillment has to be a good thing for them and for humanity in general, and I truly mean that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• NP and BB, is it really worth getting tied in knots over what word people use to describe a gathering or a meeting up of a group of people, for whatever reason they gather or meet up, or wherever they meet?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2013