Can somebody explain this to me? (glucose question)

so my lab results were great, the doctor said im the healthiest person she's seen in the last 6 months lol... but she was also kind of in a hurry and i could barely decipher her extremely thick Cuban accent.

my glucose level was 93, fasting levels are 65-99. so i was on the high side. i told her that after i eat certain foods my heart races. and she blew it off like it was nothing.

but im thinking if my glucose is on the high end after i fasted for 12 hours, it's got to be on the high end after i eat too right? she told me that everything is completely fine and not to worry.

i was almost certain that i would find out that im borderline diabetic but according to her that isnt the case. nevertheless i still try to make healthy eating choices and limit my sweets (admittedly it takes every ounce of self control to achieve that)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2013 in Health

• Well, it is on the high end of normal, but still within normal. If you're concerned, I would certainly make another appointment and talk to her again, or maybe another doctor if you feel she's not taking you seriously. I wouldn't freak out yet, though. I would only get really concerned if you had past test results that showed your level as being much lower.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Those are the guidelines. Usually if it falls in the range, treatment is not recommended and a diagnosis is not needed. Remember though, guidelines.... Even if you fall outside that range, your Dr. will look into other aspects to make a diagnosis. Plus, a diagnosis is not made on one visit, especially with Diabetes. It's a timeline thing. All you can do is keep track of your levels. With that, I would also keep track of what you eat and how you feel.

If a physician ever tries to make a diagnosis based on one reading, RUN! Unless of course he's recommending further studies.

Have you thought about other aspects, such as food dyes, blood pressure, etc.?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Did she tell you what your A1C is. My last A1C was 5' very good for being a diabetic. If you are worried about all this. You need to educate your self on it. It is just not sweets, it is all carbohydrate based foods to and starches. They turn into sugar in the blood stream just like surgery foods.
    That might be your problem. You are eating to much wheat based foods. Rice and potatoes.

Answer by louise2 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I have always run at the high end of normal. The best thing you can do is to eat fewer carbs. They do not have to be sweet. White bread it not really all that good for us and bread also is high in carbs. This is the one that kills me. I LOVE homemade bread and could easily eat an entire loaf when it comes out of the oven (I do restrain myself)
    There is no reason you can not eat a diabetic diet and then add a bit if you like.
    I recently found out I have very low vitamin D levels.
    In my reading I have read that 95% of women in the US also have low Vitamin d.
    Did you know that D help to prevent the onset of Type 2 Diabetes and you get it over the counter?
    I was supposed to go last week to hav everything checked again. I will tell you tat I can feel the difference.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• My a1c is also 5
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• My vitamin d level is 30 which is the low end of th spectrum but still within range and again she wasn't concerns about it
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• you can take the results to another doc but you aid yourself you have anxiety, your labs are in the correct range don't think of it on the high or low side UNLESS you actually leave the normal range. Try not to borrow stress for yourself. :)
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 1:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/a1c-test/MY00142/DSECTION=results

According to Mayo Clinic, an A1C of 5 is normal. You are within normal limits, but it's not a bad idea to monitor what foods make your heart race and avoid them. It's never a bad idea to eat as healthy as possible. The dangerous thing about diabetes is the sustained high blood sugar level and the bottom outs. The goal is usually to lower it to a safe level and maintain it. What foods seem to make your heart race?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Get a glucose meter and test at home? My mom was convinced she was diabetic and did that. See another doctor if you are concerned.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• anything over 100 I would worry
    Get a glucose monitor I have one because I am often HYPOglycemic
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2013