How long does your little one BF?

My DD is a week shy of 6 months and I am BFing. I was just wondering how long your LO eat? Does he/she eat from both breasts or just one? Do you stop your LO our let them stop on their own?

Momma2beauties

Asked by Momma2beauties at 6:15 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at 6 mos, dd nursed 15-45 minutes. if baby comes off a side (not just to take a breath) & still seems hungry, then offer the other side. if you aren't sure, offer it anyway. breastfed babies won't over-eat at the breast. babies don't have to eat from both sides at each session-dd never did. the important thing is to feed on demand, whenever baby wants. as long as baby is wetting at least 6 dipes/day & gaining weight, you are making & feeding enough. breastfed babies may poo every time they eat, or go as long as 10+ days without pooping. remember, babies generally have growth spurts at 6 mos, 9 mos, etc.. teething & reaching developmental milestones may cause baby to nurse more often. do you have support? the breastfeeding groups & la leche league meetings really helped me. kellymom.com & llli.org have great info. keep up the good work momma! you're giving your lo the absolute best!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I dont remenber how long, it has been 7 years, but I did let my LO feed off both breasts and come off the last breast on his own.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Depending on how long he wants to eat and how the milk seems to be flowing (lol, or shooting out, if it's been a long time since it was nursed from). If he stops in five minutes or less then I'll start with that breast the next time to make sure it gets completely drained. If he goes at it for awhile and seems to be coming up dry, I'll switch to the other. I seem to have fast-flowing milk, though; I'm completely drained with a pump in less than ten minutes (usually filling up both 4 oz bottles). I can tell it's flowing too fast for him sometimes when he's nursing, but he usually pulls away to catch his breath and then latches back on. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• WHen my son was that age he ate for 10-15 minutes(I guess, I never watched the clock) and I rarely switched sides. I let him decide when to be done.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My DS eats for 10-15 minutes on one boob. I switch boobs each feeding it works for me no sense in taking him off and putting him on the other boob and making him upset in the middle of a feeding.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 7:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I almost never nursed on both sides. My son would nurse for 20-40 minutes around that age and he nursed anywhere from every 3-6 hours.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2009