In YOUR Opinion, is Being Annoyed the Same as Being Offended?

I was just wondering if you find annoyance and taking offense to be one in the same.

I had been thinking about something some people might find offensive and thought how I didn't find it offensive so much as annoying... and then I wondered if they're actually the same thing....

Perhaps annoyance is just a lesser version of offense?

Hmmm....

Please help in my philosophical (hardly) musings...

sweetheart1985

Asked by sweetheart1985 at 6:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• no its not the same
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• To me annoyance is when it's something small thats bothering you, like a person chewing their food too loud, or a someone who talks way too much. I think being offended is when someone attacks you personally, not physically but saying hurtful things about you or something you believe in.
    Anonymous

• haha, I don't really think of them as the same. But I do know some people who are annoying AND offensive. Annoying people just get on my nerves and make me feel uncomfortable but I may still hang out if they are around if I have to. Offensive people are the ones that will make me just get up and leave, or tell them they are offending me.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I don't think its the same either. I get annoyed easily but rarely get offended.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I think they are completely different.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:26 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• nope IMO they are 2 completely different things
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 6:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I don't think they are the same.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I don't think they're COMPLETELY different, but I don't think they're the same.

Thanks for your opinions though. I'm the type of person who strives to not be offended by things. To not let other people's thoughts and ideals bother me... but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't ANNOY me.
    sweetheart1985

Answer by sweetheart1985 at 6:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Well being offended is like being insulted.
    Like if someone were to comment on your color of skin and make a rude remark about it you would be OFFENDED.
    If you were to go to a dinner party and the hostess is constantly introducing you to potential "friends" that would be ANNOYING.
    Otherwise go to dictionary.com and type in each word and it defines it for you.
    :)
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 6:48 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Annoyance is when you find something unpleasant. Offensive is when it is unbearable. If something is offensive you feel that you must take action.

Answer by Bmat at 6:49 PM on Feb. 19, 2009