Pulled a lower back muscle. Probably not a good idea to stretch, right? Is this an ice or heat thing?

Anyone know? I'm in a fair bit of discomfort and I didn't "do" anything that I can remember to pull it. Frown....

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 6:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2013 in Health

• Ice, Ice, baby!!! Ice x 20 minutes... let re-warm naturally the ice it again!! ;o)
    Stretchering is ok if it's not painful.... if it hurts DON'T do it!! Except for ice of course...
    ...ice should be painful at first, the burn a bit then get numb... that's how you know your doing it right!
    Are you sure it's just a muscle pull? Are you sure it's not disc related??
    You can blow out a disc simply by leaning forward... Heck you can get a muscle spasm the same way though.
    Advil/Motrin can help too.
    If pain last for more then 3 days, gets worse or feels more like a radiating burning sensation you NEED to see your doc!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• It wouldn't hurt to ask a doctor about it, just in case it is a disc. Dh blew a disc while leaning over on the toilet (the tp rolled away and he tried to catch it). Once he got it calmed down enough to be able to walk, PT helped him tremendously. Thst was years ago, and he still does some of the exercises he was given, especially when it starts to bother him.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Stretching the right way will give some relief...do some yoga poses

Answer by older at 6:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I did something similar a few weeks ago, and then again last week. I have been using a heating pad here and there, as well as the heat setting on my car's seat. It feels really good.

I do a light stretch while lying on the floor. I slowly bring one knee up towards my chest, hold for a 10 count, then the other one. It's helped a lot.

Feel better!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Where's crafty? She would be able to tell you best
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Oh yeah... heat is the worst thing in the first 48-72 hours.... and anything topical like icy hot is just making your skin tingle. It can't penetrate your skin, and is only good to release trigger points to get a good stretch, but nothing more.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I was going to suggest Crafty. She knows this stuff!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Shucks.... thanks! Ortho injuries are my professional field in real life... so I hope I can help... I always feel bad when people are hurting and I can't do more. Hope your feeling better ASAP!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• yeah... that will make it take a bit longer! One thing you can do to help is increase your core strength. You can even start now doing some abdominal bracing... while sitting tighten your abs - pull your bellybutton in to your spine and tighten the muscles down low, the ones you'd use to stop yourself from peeing mid stream. Tighten all this and hold for 6-10 seconds, do this 10 at a time several times a day. That can make you feel better faster as well... as long as it's not painful to do that is. If painful don't do it! ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• I do love the heat seat thing in the car, I have one too. I'll do that on the way to work. I suppose I need to dig out the heating pad but it's one of those things I have no idea where it's buried in this house. Stretches are a yes then. Okay to yoga poses but pass on downward dog...I'll try the knee thing. Thanks!
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2013