How do go about publishing a book??

My husband has been writing a story for about 3 yrs and he still has a little way to go. But my question is how to do go about about getting your book published getting a editor etc. And does it cost any money?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2013 in Money & Work

• There are two ways to go about it. Either self-publish or have a publishing company interested in publishing it for you. What type of book is it. There is a book publishing reference book that is published every year. It tells of all the publishing and magazine companies, what types of books they publish, what they are looking for, and if they have any requirements (having a agent, being published before, etc). 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• If a publisher is interested, they will set him up with an editor. Good luck to him!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Do some research on which publishers fit the category that husband is writing
    He does not have to be all finished to send in
    Send to ones that are a good fit
    I think a few chapters are enough to see if publisher it's interested or not

This is how we did it when I worked a publishing company
    But we did nature books, pet books...not novels
    Waste of time when we would get,,for example a children's book submission. We just were not a publisher in that area
    But when one came in that was same subject, we would know pretty quick if it was a good fit for us, and then was it good enough to make our cut
    Self publish, you pay to have printed and you have to do all marketing
    IMO, well worth trying to get a publisher before thoughts of self publish
    Good luck
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• If you have to pay, it's a Vanity publisher, and you don't want that. You can now self-publish on amazon and many other sites, but I highly recommend hiring a qualfied editor if you do this. Any new writer needs a good editor, now matter how good they are. I have several friends who are highly successful at writing this way. Debra Holland...self published her romance books, and sold over a million copies her first year (she hired a great editor) once that happened she had several major traditional publishers making offers to her. Rebecca Forster was a highly successful writer with a regular publisher, but now self-publishes and is still successful...still uses an editor. My friend Elena Dillon has been very successful with her young adult book through amazon. Also uses an editor.

I'm going the traditional route working with a publisher who has their own editors.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Also- the best advice I ever got was to join Romance Writer's of America (it really doesn't matter what you write they are amazing) or he might feel more comfortable with another group, but make sure they are very professional.

I've met successful published authors who have mentored me, had opportunities to pitch editors and agents, and have a good opportunity now with my book.

Good luck to your husband!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• How does self publishing work on amazon
    Who pays to have it printied and distribution ?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I have wondered the same.

ohwrite, I have wanted to write for many years and am now ready to start tackling it. I go to bed and dream up characters while I fall asleep.
    What inspired you to write and how do you typically start your writings? Do you develop as you go along or do you typically know the plot/story and characters ahead of time ? 3 books will be easy and written for my children but aside from those I seem to be stuck with the thoughts in my head.
    Any advice ?
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Are there any fiction writer's groups/associations in your area? Best decision I've ever made was joining the fiction wrier's assoc here.They have a huge conference each year with great workshops, they have free workshops a local libraries throughout the year, and they have cheap online classes on things like building a better book, deciding how to pitch your book, self-publishing vs big publisher, etc. if your area has anything like that, I highly recommend taking advantage of it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Some people self publish and some send the manuscript to a publishing house that deals with that type of book. You have to do the research. Most will have a form or procedure. They do not want the whole book. They want a certain number of pages. I think there are books on the library about this too.
    Good luck. I hope it works out.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I've always had a love for the written word. I read every book could get my hand on as a child & started writing as soon as I could hold a pencil.

My published work is all magazine & newspaper articles, a few local television commercials years ago.

As far as where I get my ideas. They're just there. I don't plot. I just start writing & let the characters tell the story, but every writer I know is different. My problem isn't coming up w/ ideas, it's getting enough time to write.

On Amazon you don't have to pay, I believe you just upload your book, set a price & amazon takes a % of it. When you want to get a traditional publisher. You research publishers. Find the appropriate one for your book, send a query (or if you get an opportunity pitch the editor). Then if they like your query/pitch, they will either ask you to submit the first three chapters with a synopsis, or they will ask you for a full manuscript.

ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2013