Which is better for frying? Deep Fryer or an Electric Skillet?

Help from some cooks!!
I tried to fry apple fritters tonight on the stove, and of course the oil was too hot, then too cold, then too hot. They were burned on the outside and raw on the inside.
I think deep fryers are dangerous, but pans splatter and are messy too. Which do you think is better? It would be mostly for stuff that is freshly battered, not frozen (which I know can cause deep fryers to cook over).

PartyGalAnne

Asked by PartyGalAnne at 10:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Maybe an electric skillet is the answer then. My mom had one back in the day and it was pretty great for frying. I just never could justify the kitchen space for another appliance. :) As for the apple fritters, my guess is get a heavier pan and be patient. Get the oil going on medium/high and leave it there. When a little drop sizzles it's hot enough for the fritters.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• Cast iron deep skillet or fry daddy
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• For things I dip into batter, like fish, I prefer a deep fryer. For things that are patty shaped, like crab cakes, I swear by a big cast iron skillet.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I can't stand electric stoves, so not much advice for using it. However, deep fryers rarely get as hot as you need them to, unless you spend as much on them as you did on your stove.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• If I am reading this right you would not be frying a lot at a time. If that is the case I would go with the very small fry daddy.
    The bigger one will just be a waste of oil for you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I just use a deep frying pan but I have a gas stove. I'd say use an electric frying pan... I used to do that in our old house. Had a fry daddy once but hated cleaning it!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I have the same type of stove top you have and they are a PAIN in the ass!
    I have a deep electric skillet that I use. I've never used a fry daddy, I wouldn't use it enough.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• The problem with my stove is it is a new flat top electric stove. It takes a while to get hot, and then the power cycles off and on a lot (energy saver shit). It's just not a very consistent heat. So I'm looking for something other than stove top.
    PartyGalAnne

Comment by PartyGalAnne (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• My other issue is that I am still starving for apple fritters :(
    PartyGalAnne

Comment by PartyGalAnne (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2013

• I love my deep fryer, never had an issue with it. I would go that route if you have one. Otherwise oil in a deep skillet.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2013