Measuring ahead, is it okay?

They said I'm measuring about 3 weeks ahead so they are going to do an u/s. I'm 34 weeks now. What could be going on? Is is okay or is something wrong? I heard it could mean a big baby, dates are off or too much fluid which could indicate a problem with her kidneys..... anything else?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It doens't mean anything lol. I was measuring weeks ahead with my daughter and delivered her at 38 weeks and she was only 8.6 lbs (not a big baby). :) I think OB's stress women out way to much over measuring big.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I guess it *could* mean something, but I wouldn't stress about it. U/S measurments can be off by a lot so if they say the baby is big, it may not be at all.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:32 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i would worry more about measuring small! I'm sure that everything is alright, sometimes they do make mistakes! lol
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Ya my OB says I'm measuring at 44 weeks right now. She is not too concerned since I have a history of big babies. It could mean your baby is big, or maybe you have too much fluid, or nothing at all. I wouldn't worry unless you have been told that there is a problem.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 6:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i measured 7 weks ahead and my pregnancy and baby was okay besides the f act he was 10.5 and 24 inches ong at birth and he was born with congenital heart failure
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 7:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I've been measuring 3 weeks ahead for the past two months, had two ultrasounds and everything is fine. I'm 32 weeks, my son measures right in the middle of the average weight and height. As my doc said to me, sometimes you just carry big. *shrug* I wouldn't worry about it. She assured me it was fine, so I'm sure unless they tell you otherwise, you are too.
    Reulia

Answer by Reulia at 7:18 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Everything is probably fine, I had an u/s on Tuesday, I was 33 weeks exactly on that day, and the tech. told me that I was measuring 2 weeks ahead for weight and 3 weeks ahead for length. All she said is that the doctor probably wouldn't let me carry full term but didn't sound like anything was going to wrong with carrying full term other than having a big baby. Also the can be up to 2 pounds more or less wrong when determining the weight on a u/s. Hope this helped!
    PrOuDmOmMy1011

Answer by PrOuDmOmMy1011 at 7:44 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• at 32 weeks I was measuring 40 weeks. Doctor sent me to L&D to have fluids checked and baby checked. Everything was fine. Went to the doctor a week later and I was measuring right on target. Went to the doctor at 37 weeks and was measuring 40 weeks. Doctor sent me to get a big ultrasound and all is fine. He says the baby can be stretched out at the time of measuring but he likes to be safe than sorry. I wouldnt worry to much.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my son did the same thing at the end. They thought I had too much fluid,but did an u/s and found...nope just too much baby. 9lbs 9oz
    Lovemybabies885

Answer by Lovemybabies885 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2009