What were our parents doing differently regarding potty training?

I was trained before my 2nd birthday. I don't recall any kid in my family even making it to 3 without being fully trained.
I remember it not being an option to not go on the potty vs.going in my pants. I saw that my mom and sister went on the toilet,and wanted to be like them.
Is this an issue of Pull-ups existing?
Are we just letting kids get away with more?
What is so different now?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• Ballad, that made me tear up, that is an awful thing, your mother should be ashamed of herself.

I'm sorry. I wasn't saying it to elicit that reaction. What I meant was that maybe my dauter took till three and a half to get trained, although she did it in ten days and half a package of pull-ups once she finally decided she was ready, and maybe everybody and her mother thought I waited too long and spoiled her by setting her own pace, but she'll grow up without those memories of terror in her past.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• When I was small, they did not have disposable diapers so my Mom had to wash them & I had to wear a plastic diaper cover. (I don't remember this of course). Anyway, I think if you have to wash poopy diapers daily then it's more of an issue to get a kid trained as opposed to just putting on a new disposable. I think the family dynamic is totally different too. We are always running & going somewhere today so we don't take the time to focus on potty training. Mom's are working now too. I have a friend whose Son was potty trained at daycare. Life today is not better then it used to be BTW! That's my opinion & I am included in this equation myself.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2013

• I can't remember much about my girls. I remember I started when they were two. All I had to do was to buy them those fancy, frilled panties and tell them they were "big girl panties" that could not get dirty. That was it to potty training.

My grandmother, the mother of 11, claims to have them all potty trained by 1. However, thinking about that, I believe it's the mother that is trained, not the child.

What is this generation doing differently? Are you referring to them asking Cafemom rather than a physician or even their own mother or grandmother?? I'm not sure, but it sure seems to NOT be working so well.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Ballad, I am wringing my hands in pain. I am so sorry.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 1:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• I got my butt spanked if I peed my pants.
    My mother swears that we were trained by age 2 as well. I would not spank a kid for peeing in their pants/diaper whatever, but I guess it worked, just not what I chose to do.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:25 AM on Nov. 12, 2013

• My mom was putting cloth diapers on us. That probably helped A LOT!
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:32 AM on Nov. 12, 2013

2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• We just talked about going to the potty, they knew we used the potty, they helped flush it, etc. Then we got them a potty chair and had it in the bathroom. There wasn't a lot of pressure. We just let it sink in that is what people do. They then wanted to do it. I think it is such a competition among some moms and companies who make training products put a lot of pressure on young families.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:34 AM on Nov. 12, 2013

• It was probably the expense of cloth diapers and diapering services.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2013

• And I should have said I have no memory of being potty trained.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:39 AM on Nov. 12, 2013