Anyone have experience with SSI and death benefits?

A couple of years ago my friend's husband passed away leaving 2 children behind, She used the life insurance to pay off their home in full.
Because she made decent money she was under the impression that she wouldn't be able to get SSI for her children, and never looked into it.
Now her job has been downsized, I was under the impression that even Ivana Trump could get SSI benefits, is this wrong?
I am going with her to see a lawyer, but wonder if that is even needed? Couldn't she just take the death certificate to the SS office?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Nov. 12, 2013 in Money & Work

• i haven't had to deal with this in several years. It used to be that death benefits were based on the money the deceased paid into the system. If I were your friend, I'd find a social security lawyer, and take advantage of their initial free consultation. That would eliminate a lot of the run around, and searching for documents last minute that you know SSA will put her throuhg. last time I had to deal with it, I had to have death sertificate, birth certificate of all children as well as current ID for them (report cards if nothing else due to age), my marriage certificate, and current ID for myself. All originals. No copies. Who knows what else you might need.

And, no my husband didn't die, but my BFFs did and I did this for her...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2013