If your SO was fired in September of 2011,and refused to apply for jobs that weren't the "right' kind...

would you kick his ass to the curb in frustration?
My BIL lost his job as a bus driver in 2011. At that time the job was less than 25 hrs a week. His wife didn't work at all
my husband tried referring him to places that were hiring,but he had an excuse for why he couldn't work each one
After 6 months of this,I told him that hell,take a job at BK or something while you're looking. Something is better than nothing,geez.
He wants a job driving a truck. The problem is,those jobs are scarce. That and he'd actually have to work HARD.
The SIL got a job at a call center working 30 hrs a week
They are the type that the naysayers think all people on welfare are like.
I think they don't want to lose their benefits,so he doesn't look for work. Sickening.
I told my husband if he pulled this shit,he'd be packing his bags.
I work SOOOO hard at holding my tongue when the BIL starts talking about how hard their lives are. Yeah......

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 12, 2013 in Relationships

• I myself have, at times, refused work because it truly wouldn't work for me - for example, a job that had very specific hours, and at the pay they wanted to give me, I would have had to borrow $20 a week just to pay for child care for my kids, because the pay wouldn't have even covered child care, much less any other bills. I'm a single mom, so my income is all there is, so I have to be sure that I can pay my bills.

But in a two income house, I think you can be a bit more flexible because you have two incomes. I also think that, as old fashioned as it may sound, men should work and support their families - even if that means taking a job they don't really want or think is beneath them. It doesn't have to be permanent, they can take it just until they find something better.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• A low paying job still pays more than no job. Yes, I would leave if my husband refused to work. Not being able to find a job is one thing but to quit a job because its too much work? No way.

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• If it was causing great financial and emotional strain the yeah, I would strongly consider it. I don't want my kids growing up learning to do 'just enough'.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Are you supporting them? If not then why is it your business?
    Why do people come here and slam others who can't be here to defend themselves?
    Anonymous

• I don't see how it's really your concern, if they want to be bums then that's their business. It's easier to forget dipshits like them exists.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• You're talking about my brother! He was out of work for a year because he was laid off from a $23/hour job. Ya I know its hard to go from $23 to say $10, but $10 an hour is better than $0 an hour!

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• So your BIL is an able-bodied man with a family to support & he hasn't worked in 2 years?! There's no excuse for that. If he wants to drive truck, has he applied to a truck driving school to get his CDL? He could start out a place like Fed-Ex, they even offer tuition reimbursement. He sounds lazy to me. There's no way in hell I would tolerate that if he was my husb. I can't believe welfare is allowing it to happen either. I thought they had limits on how long you could get benefits & had work requirements.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• If he was fired and didn't have another job in a timely fashion I would leave him.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Wouldn't fly in my house.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Doing something pays more than doing nothing.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2013