Spinoff of my question. Regarding the welfare system

How is a family allowed to continue getting SNAP and rent reduction and refuse to get a job? My SIL works 30 hrs a week,my BIL is a 'stay at home dad" (both kids are in school full time. 9 and 11 yrs old)
They have been on some form of welfare for almost 12 years,continuously. She got WIC while pregnant beginning in January of 2002
I don't understand. How is this being allowed? Both are able bodied adults.
We have had a boon of new jobs coming to my city. It's not like he's tried and the jobs don't exist.
Did someone majorly drop the ball here?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2013 in Just for Fun

• In some cases I think that some people become accustomed to a way of life where they are happy to accept assistance and it becomes part of their lifestyle. In other cases, it can be very difficult for a family to work themselves off the system. Say a couple is out of work and they are receiving food stamps, welfare and housing assistance. So one finally gets a job (not actually earning a living wage in the case of most entry level jobs) and while they still qualify for the help they are receiving, adding another income to the household suddenly changes their qualification status and they lose their housing assistance. Now they have to spend twice as much on rent (assuming they are paying something) and they lose some of the food stamp benefits, so there is more strain financially. Then add fluctuating costs such as gas, utilities (high winter costs, or high summer cost) and they are running in the red again.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Sadly, you can't force people to better themselves or their lives for their children. I can't imagine a man not wanting to work to support his family tho. The men in my family are all hard-working & proud of it. Welfare was not meant to be a permanent solution to what should be a temporary problem. He's not setting a very good example for his children.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• If the kids are in school, who do they need to stay home for?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• I would guess that OP is tired of listening to them bitch about their circumstances, and probably asking for help because of them. I doubt that she would care if the father stayed at home, if the wife was earning enough to provide for all of them.
    And mrsmom is correct, if the children are at school, then why can't the man take a job (any job) to show pride in himself. Not a great example for their children to expect others to take care of your family.
    And why go anon on this, I mean it is a free country, you are not calling names or anything, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, last I knew.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Nope it would be no different than her being the stay home parent.
    As long as one is working and the other is caring for the kids.
    Hell at least ONE is working.
    Quit your job or make your husband quit if you are so upset that they get benefits and you do not.
    DAMN give it a rat!
    Anonymous

• I have no idea how it gets to go on. I would not be married to someone who refused to work. I am guessing that he is applying for jobs that are out of his reach? I think you have to show that you have applied, but have been turned down. ignore anon.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• anon- why would you suggest to someone to purposefully quit their job to get on welfare?! We have enough people receiving it right now as it is. Yes the economy sucks, but come on. This man is clearly lazy.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• The system was probably designed poorly from the beginning, the fact that you cannot validate much of the information those that are dependant give, the fact that many families that receive assistance receive more than they need, and when they make just a little too much money they lose benefits as opposed to working them off the system methodically, and I could go into some political inferences as well - but I will skip that since it doesn't necessarily add to this particular question.

What happens when you get food stamps and you do not use your allocated funds? Do you lose all of the assistance going forth or is it reduced that much each month? I don't really understand how they (government assistance departments) help work people off of the system into self dependency.  I have to wonder if that is even their goal.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:06 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• This ^^^^^^ anon.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• As long as someone has children or refuse to be responsible and work they can stay on public assistance for the rest of the lives.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2013