Does anyone currently have,or have had, a cockatiel? I have some questions

We have our eye on a little guy at Petco,but we're hoping he goes on sale soon,lol
I want to know which type of food is best. I've read mixed reviews of pellets vs. a seed/nut mix
What type of fruits,veggies,and grains do they like? Is it more hit or miss with their personal preference?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2013 in Pets

• My old bird is 21! one thing I have to stress!!!!! ONLY GET A MALE! I have no idea how to tell but ask at the pet sore. My sister got one & it turned out to be a female & she was egg bound over & over for years, never sang & then died. I think the males tend to look smaller & beefier..LOL! True though. I just buy the basic Cockatiel food mix with fruits & seeds. No Pellets. He'll just throw them in his water to watch them blow up. He also eats american cheese, pasta, mashed potatoes & eggs. They are very hearty birds. He flies around all day too but sleep in his cage at night. He has a drawer in the kitchen that he plays in & eats his millet sprays.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• I've never had one but my cousin did a long time ago. He ate seed (I think it was a Cockatiel mix). Not sure what kind of produce they prefer.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Wish you had asked this a few months ago. I knew a great guy that had several exotic birds that could have answered your questions. Unfortunately he passed away. Not sure who got all the birds.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Meant pet store not pet sore...LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• WE had two when I was a kid. Our first one was a male, or so we thought.. Until he started laying eggs. Charlie was the best bird ever! She was friendly and cuddly. She sang and loved to talk to people. She laid an egg every few weeks. When she died my mom got a new one that WAS a boy. He was mean as hell and didn't sing all that much. You couldn't get near him and he never interacted with anyone.

Ours ate cockatiel food mix. Ours also LOVED bananas and grapes.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• You might want to ask Ballad. I think she's done a lot with exotic birds.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:31 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Then you should be able to get him on a really healthy diet. Quality pellets, seeds, fruits and veggies, brown rice, beans, barley. You can bake cornbread and put anything you want in there. Cocatiels on seed mix live about twelve years; on pellets and lots of fruits, veggies, and grains will lived 20 to 25 years. Oh, they love scrambled eggs. Millet is a now-an-then treat. By the way, when you get him, hand-tame him and give him attention, but don't spoil him by giving him more attention at first than you plan to give him later. Otherwise, when youpull back later, he'll develop problem behaviors like screaming, plucking his feathers, biting, etc. That's where a lot of bird owners go wrong, and then they give up the problem birds they created themselves.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• That's funny about the pellets!
    Yeah,we want a boy because they sing,talk,and are affectionate

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• It depnds a lot on how old the bird is that you're looking at, what he or she has been fed up till now. I've had lots of cockatiels over the years. The one I have now won't touch pellets. Never has. He's an old man. He used to be affectionate, now he's grouchy as hell. He has the right to be, it comes with age. But he'll talk up a storm. If ou buy the expensive seed mixes with fruit in them, he'll just throw the fruits out into the bottom of his cage anyway. But he loves scrambled eggs. And he'lleat cornbread, so I throw all kinds of fruits and veggies in there, which turns it fun colors. You really need to talk to the pet store before you buy the bird and find out his or her age and what the current diet is. And pellets are a lot different. Like some human health foods are really junk food in disguise and sme are super healthy, and some taste delicious and some taste like cardboard.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• He was born in July of this year.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2013