Is it true?

Is it true that a person needs to eat something, preferably with protein, within thirty minutes of when her feet hit the floor in the morning? I don't usually want to put food in my mouth first thing when I wake up, and this retired nurse from church has been down my neck about it lately to the point of calling me on the phone the last few days and asking me if I've eaten and what I ate. I realize I can either tell her to flake off, or politely say it's none of her business, or pacify her and tell her what she wants to hear, or follow her orders and eat, but I'm wondering if her knowledge is accurate or outdated.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• 15 minutes?!? Ick. I don't want to see my breakfast twice.

Ballad, can you gently tell her that you've heard the same thing (you have now), and that you know she cares about you, but she shouldn't worry about you so much because God doesn't want any of us to worry. Tell her that YOU will call her later in the week and give her a gentle hug. Then be sure to call her, esp. if she backs off and doesn't call you. She may just be lonely and looking for a reason to call you every day.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:59 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Who is she to be giving you orders? Tell her to mind her own business!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Why does she care what you eat, I have coffee every morning, and nothing most of the time until lunch, I would assume eating breakfast is a good idea, but she really should find something else to do for fun.
    Good morning Ballad, did you eat your eggs yet? LOL
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Before I fell off of my 5:30am morning walks, I knew I had to eat SOMETHING before I left or else I'd be STARVING by the time I returned. But, like you, the thought of eating first thing made me nauseous. So I started boiling some hard boiled eggs and would grab one in the morning before I started my walk. I still didn't WANT to eat it but it was full of proten, required no preparation, and was small enough that it wasnt hard to force myself to eat. It did just the trick.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I am not sure about the 30 minutes but yes you should eat right after getting up and preferably protein.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:22 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• I know you should eat something for breakfast.  But within 30 of getting up?  I don't know about that.  What are you supose to do, stand up and run into the kitchen and down a donut?

Answer by louise2 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• you should eat *something* protein is good, but I don't think its some kind of law or anything ;)
    a lot of time, I eat oatmeal...or a grilled ham and cheese
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• I think it's best to eat something within first 60-90 min of waking up. I think I read that somewhere.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• My physical trainer told me the ideal is 15 mins. I never can manage it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:39 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• UGH! She'd hate me then. It takes me an hour to feel human once I wake up. Then, another hour or so to feel hungry.

My alarm goes off at 7:00. I usually feel awake and not bitchy around 8:00, as long as children aren't pestering me. We walk out the door at about 9:00 to go to school, and I get hungry three steps after the door shuts. Anything before that, and I'm likely to see it again, and that's NOT because of morning sickness. I've been that way for 20+ years.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2013