What is the recovery time for a two tooth extraction under anesthesia?

Wondering if I can go to work the next day or if I will be knocked out for a few days?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Nov. 12, 2013 in Technology

• Talk to your dentist. A lot of times they don't want you getting behind the wheel for 24 hours after sedation. You are probably going to be very sore anyway and on narcotic pain pills.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:40 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Are you going to an Oral Surgeon or a dentist. I am a true believer that the recovery time for tooth extractions are much quicker with an Oral Surgeon.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• Yeah I had an oral surgeon do my last one and was fully cognizant within an hour. He just gave me Versed. The dentist gave me IV Fentanyl and Demerol and I was out for the rest of the day.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:56 PM on Nov. 12, 2013

• You will be aware depending on the type within about an hour. Depending on your body's reaction to pain and shock you can go back the next day. For most people I would suggest taking the following day off simply because you will be drained at the minimum. If it is done in the morning the packing will be out and you will have healing time before the next day rolls around. Take the initial pin medication. Do this on faith.
    If it is done later in the day you will definitely not want to go in the next day. I have had several and I recover easily and quickly.

This is a tip you will want to follow. get some tea bags. After the packing comes out and the bleeding has pretty much stopped moisten a tea bag and place it right where the packing was. Toss and repeat as you choose. The tannin will held the blood vessels to contract and the skin to toughen and heal quicker. Good Luck
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:09 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• My friend was just told that she should take off the day after the procedure as well. This is for wisdom teeth. If it is a regular tooth... ask your dentist.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Is it for wisdom teeth? If not, can't it be done under local anasthetic?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 5:30 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Depends on if you take any drug with Codein in it. If you do then forget going to work. I had 4 wisdom teeth removed & only took Advil & I was fine in a day.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• You should be fine by the next day. You'll just need to be careful about what you eat and drink. Eat soft foods, or drink nutritional supplements.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:41 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• One is a regular tooth and one is a wisdom tooth, I have epilepsy and needles trigger seizures for me so I need to be knocked out from the get go.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2013