Can we get any more ridiculous?

Just saw this on Facebook, through a local news station.

October 17, 2012--a man driving a pickup truck in Everett, WA suffers a seizure behind the wheel, crosses 3 lanes of traffic, a center lane, then hits and kills a cyclist on his way home from work.

Fellow bicycle riders are up in arms that the driver was only issued a citation for 2nd degree negligent driving and a $10,287 fine. Local cyclists want his head on a platter.

This recent decision by prosecutors follows an opinion piece in the Sunday NY times, written by a cyclist, titled "Is it OK to kill cyclists?"

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Cyclists-shocked-driver-will-not-face-charges-in-death-of-bike-rider-231677171.html

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 1:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• He had a seizure, for heaven's sake. It's not like he planned this. It would be different if he was texting or shaving or had a cell phone glued to his ear, like zillions of other drivers do every day. He wasn't drunk, drugged, or drowsy. I'm not even sure I agree with the fine and the citation. Medical treatment is in order, and license restriction if there are going to be ongoing health issues, but he couldn't help what happened.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I agree with you. It is not like he intentionally put people at risk. Am unforeseen medical emergency is way different than wreckless driving.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:46 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• What a horrible tragedy!

But that is why these things are called accidents. The truck driver must live with the fact that he killed another human being; I hope he is the kind of person for whom that is more than enough punishment.

The other cyclists need to take a powder.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• They act as though he went out and planned to have a seizure like he was behind the wheel and started chasing bikes down. Sometimes accidents are just that accidental. This man has to live life knowing he caused the death of someone else that's more punishment then any innocent person deserves.
    mcdun

Answer by mcdun at 2:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Ok, I GET that driver really should pay more attention to others on the road, I'm NOT trying to argue that at all. What I think is absolutely ridiculous is the fact that fellow cyclists want to criminally prosecute this guy. He had a medical emergency. There was no known history of seizures.

I see so many bicyclists, and motorcyclists, that pick and choose which rules of the road they are going to obey, then when things like this tragedy happen, they get all up in arms about the "evil" motorists. It doesn't work that way. Either you follow ALL the rules, or you get off the road. At least, that's what I was taught.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 1:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Oh the irony. Found out this morning that a friend of mine, an avid cyclist, was hit by a car. He was biking in the BIKE lane of the busy road through an intersection. Car #1 wanted to turn, and had stopped to wait for my friend to go by. Car #2 wasn't so patient. Car #2 swerved around car #1, and blasted right into my friend, crossing a double yellow to do so.

My friend is ok, relatively. He's VERY sore and his bike is now in three pieces. Thankfully the idiot in Car #2 stuck around and gave his information to the cops and is cooperating.

Jerks come in all shapes and sizes, and on/in 2, 3, and/or 4 wheels.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• He had a seizure with no history of seizures it's not like he did this on purpose or even was breaking any laws. The guy feels bad enough I am sure for what happened. Recently here someone had a heart attack and died at the wheel and seriously injured a pedestrian in the process. The pedestrian is suing the family of the driver and I think that is so beyond wrong.

Yes I see near misses and drivers doing stupid things that put bicyclists and pedestrians at risk every day but when it is TRULY an accident and not someone being impatient or breaking the law let it be.
    Anonymous

• gees...thats the way to get ppl to respect cyclists...by degrading and hating a driver who had no control over his actions. theres a reason many ppl are annoyed by cyclists, this is just going to add to the list.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2013