how can i stop my 3yr old from crying

roxy21651

Asked by roxy21651 at 1:49 AM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stop pinching him.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Depends on why the child is crying. Figure that out and you're on the way to fixing the problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• What is it that he cry about? If you are having a hard time getting him to stop it sounds to me that he might be having a tantrum.
    Remember terrible 2's? Well I add horrible 3's...Sometimes at 3 they are not out of the woods yet..

I would try to calm him down before you talk to him.. Offer him water. If he is crying for something that he wants and can not have, offer something else instead.
    Miriam17

Answer by Miriam17 at 2:55 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Kids cry for a reason. Do you think it's a good idea to "stop" emotional release? There are an awful lot of people (adults) who are very disconnected from their emotions, who aren't emotionally available in their intimate relationships or to their children, and who aren't expressive of anything much (except anger.)
    The term "arrested development" exists for a reason!!!

Crying when hurt or sad is an important, logical result. Crying or tantruming to express unhappiness & frustration with what is happening also is a congruent expression of what's going on, emotionally, for the child! Children encounter feelings of powerlessness & helplessness when they can't make things go their way, and THOSE are feelings that need expression in order to find resolution (they grieve the loss.) Feeling their complete powerlessness usually is too threatening & overwhelming, so they feel rage instead.
    Notice how your child's behavior makes sense.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:35 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Distraction......

Answer by older at 6:57 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Crying? Or whining? Two different things.

Answer by louise2 at 7:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• We need more information. Find out the reason. Are there any health issues? Have you had his/her ears and hearing checked. I suggest that because I have hearing problems and it is often the last thing anyone thinks about.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:47 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• figure out why they are crying and deal with it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2013