Is it bad if you can see a toddler's back ribs when they are breathing?

When my 2 year old sleeps on her belly or side, I can see her ribs on her back when she breaths. Is that bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I didn't think that you could see your ribs on your back at all? Your ribs are in the front side of your body?? My daughter is VERY petite,and you can see her ribs at all times... She wont gain weight.. she was also on a g-tube. But is starting to gain weight on her own. She is only at the 5 percentile for weight and the 15th for height... and she is 3 years old... very very small.. some kids are just smaller than others...
    Anonymous

• i guess i shoud have said " i can see the sides of her ribs when she lays on her belly or back when she breaths."
    i didn't know if that was a sign of respiratory distress.
    Anonymous

• well is she breathing heavily? and straining for her breath? if not then its fine. is she small?
    Anonymous

• It is normal. If your doctor is not worried about your childs weight, then don't worry about it.
    My daughter is 100 + % in weight I can see her ribs in her back.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 6:46 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• symptoms for respiratory distress:

breathing rate, color changes (bluish lips),grunting, nose flarring,sweating, weezing
    Anonymous

• I just wanted to say to Anon #1...your ribs start from your spine...if you reach back there you can feel them...so, yeah. If a child or animal is really thin or lean you can sometimes see their ribs from the back.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009