What to bring to a friend in the hospital with a new diagnosis of leukemia

My best friend of 25 years was just diagnosed with leukemia and is staying in the hospital for god knows how long. I'm trying to brainstorm ideas of what I could bring to make her stay just a little less stressful... (ie comfortable pillow, or blanket ect... ect... )

I didn't know if anyone out there had had an elongated hospital journey and could offer suggestions for things that made it even a little more bearable. From what I've read, she could be in there for a few weeks at this point and time :(

kryssie78

Asked by kryssie78 at 8:05 AM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Health

• Puzzle books, movies for her to watch, NO FLOWERS- many cancer units wont allow them
    SOCKS fun happy socks to keep her feet warm
    Snacks that dotn take a ton of effort- pudding, hard candies to suck on

Sorry to hear your friend has leukemia, hope the treatments do wonders
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Your very sad face!!!

^^^^seriously??? The last thing I wanted was someone coming to see me all sad and pathetic. I couldn't be sad I had to be strong, I didn't need anyone coming in making me feel sad, I needed happiness and fun not sympathy!
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Your hugs, my hugs, lots of laughter. :-)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Movies. Even if you bring two or three from home and then swap them with two or three the next time you come. Something to make her laugh. Books if she likes them or crossword puzzles. The best thing you can bring her is you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• A small light blanket, mainly as a comfort item. LLBean has some and probably they are available other places. it is the size of a lap blanket.

Answer by Bmat at 8:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I say good books, and gossip magazines. I would also offer to clean, cook, watch kids, pets, water plants, anything while she is there. I am sorry that she is ill, but hopefully she can make a full and speedy recovery.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:48 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• If she has access to a DVD player in her room, maybe some of her favorite movies. I love the idea of fun socks!

Hope she kicks the leukima's butt!!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Your company as much as possible and silly socks,joke books,puzzles,favorite lotion,chapstick, So sorry about your friends diagnosis (((Hugs)))
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• :) I appreciate the help! The fun socks sound like a great idea and something that might actually brighten up her day a bit :)
    I also appreciate the well wishes, she is a strong woman and I anticipate she will kick the crap out of this! <3
    kryssie78

Comment by kryssie78 (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Your very sad face!!!

Answer by louise2 at 9:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2013