(fixed) For 30 years, Ivy League schools required all students to be photographed nude

There are some full-frontal shots at this link - they aren't sex shots, but if you have penis issues, don't click it:

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/11/12/that-time-harvard-and-yale-took-naked-photos-of-all-their-freshmen-students/

On the surface, it was said to be a long term study on scoliosis, but it's suspected that it was really eugencis research, attempting to correlate body shape to intelligence.  There is a similar Nazi study on record.

Would you have given up your time at the school to keep your dignity, or would you have agreed to the photos?

The original site has crashed completely due to all the traffic - here's the internet archive copy of it:

http://web.archive.org/web/20131112195150/http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/11/12/that-time-harvard-and-yale-took-naked-photos-of-all-their-freshmen-students/

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Link doesn't open for me

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Probably getting bombed from all the traffic by hitting the news this morning. If I see a mirror of it show up somewhere, I'll add it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• The original site is back up.

I don't think I would. Not just because someone told me to get naked.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• That shits just scary. When you think of all the weird things that can happen, you never believe that we, you, or I, are capable of being so naive... but I think this just shows we can. This is probably exactly how Hitler got people to do the things he did.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:38 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• It was probably some sort of covert study. All it proved is that smart people come in all shapes and sizes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• wow...i had no idea eugenics was still being "studied" in the 60s & 70s. it makes perfect since that it is eugenics based and not scoliosis or something along those lines. they check kids for that today without them getting naked, plus some of those pictures dont show the back.

and no way in hell i would just undress for some strangers in white coats...did no students protest? were they too ashamed, cause you'd imagine if they all did this then they'd have talked to each other about it and how weird it was. so odd...maybe my thought process is just colored by my age, but you'd think one leaked word about them photographing the freshmen women and ppl would have flipped. now ive got something new to research over winter break...thanks!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• .did no students protest?

Think of it this way - you work your ass off and your parents are going into debt so you can go to the "best" school in the country. Do you turn around and tell them you dropped out because you didn't want to do something everyone else did without complaint (as far as you know)?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• My parents find out they'd have yanked me out of there so fast my head would spend. They would have said there's no way we're paying for you to pose for some Penthouse college.

Personally this is just creepy but then it was another time and another place. At that time they didn't really ask a lot of questions about things. It's only in today's world that we ask a whole lot of questions so we don't repeat what happened in the past.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• "Do you turn around and tell them you dropped out because you didn't want to do something everyone else did without complaint (as far as you know)?"

my great grandparents would have been proud if my grandma had told them that...rather than have nude pics of her on file.

its just hard to believe that in the purity bubble of the 50s, the girls didnt mention this to each other and tell someone. i would assume at least some parents would have been outraged that their young daughters were photographed nude. unless the researchers shamed them into silence, i dont see how no one ever found out about this while it was going on...why all the students kept it a secret.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2013