My 6 year old doesn't believe in Santa...

I asked him where he came up with that, and he said the kids in his class told him. I told him thats just not true, and I was kind of heart broken! Im pretty sure I believed in Santa until I was like 10. What is with kids these days?? I was planning on starting elf on shelf this year too. Now im wondering if it's even worth it. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have him watch Polar Express and leave a bell under the tree this year. Don't push one way or another, let him decide if he wants to believe. With Santa is always more fun than without, so he may decide to play along simply because it's not fun anymore without it.

Sorry he goes to school with someone who has rude parents.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Actually, he was going to find out soon anyways and I stopped believing in santa when I was 7
    Shaketa123

Answer by Shaketa123 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Well,if you have any younger kids,just tell him not to ruin it for them
    I doubt he'll believe you now that his peers spilled the beans

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• my oldest is 7 now and started questioning at 5 already. i dont think it was other kids as much as it was the Christmas movies that we watch where the question of Santa's existence is raised. i never push her one way or the other.... i ask her what she thinks and we go from there. i'm almost positive that she figured it out last Christmas when she was 6, but still doesn't want to come out and say it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I was totally honest with my kids when they asked. And simply said it is a tradition that is passed down. Then we read to him about how the tradition got started.....the history of it. It's about love and having fun. If there are younger kids in the house he can help make it fun for them. We always have a gift from Santa even now. But in our house only one comes from Santa plus the stocking gifts. All other gifts come from us.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:54 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• My husband and I have decided when this Santa stuff stops in out house, we are going to start taking trips over the holiday. Indoor waterparks or things like that.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• My daughter was 4 when she figured it out on her own. We've always encouraged her to do critical thinking regarding what is real or not. She gets scared very easily, so it has helped with books and movies. This carried over to Santa, and we're okay with that. She's still young enough to enjoy the magic of it all, and she's crazy about Rudolph.

I found out when I was 5 thanks to my 7yo brother telling me. That was over 30 years ago.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:08 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• This is where having friends with older siblings SUCKS. My son was 8 or 9 when his friend with older siblings (teens) told him Santa wasn't real. Broke my heart. Granted, he was close to figuring it out anyway, but STILL. I took him aside that year and told him yes, Santa wasn't real, but if he ruined it for his little sister there would be hell to pay.

He's done good so far.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:31 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• My son was 5 and in kindergarten when he tole me that. I asked why and he said because it just doesn't add up. I told him that just like with religion different people believe different things and he is free to believe what he wants but to please not spoil it for his younger sister or friends that still believe. He is now 8 and his 6 year old sister still believes. He recently told me that this is the first year most the kids in his class don't believe.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:05 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I'd just say, OK then don't believe but those that do get more presents! Actually, I 100% agree with NotPanicking on this one.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2013