What do you think about Pope Francis?

He's apparently the most popular guy on the internet. A lot of people are talking about how impressed they are with him. I was just wondering what some of you ladies think about him.

(I personally don't really know how I feel - he says a lot of "pretty" things, but I wonder how much more than pretty words we'll see. For example, he's said a few things about homosexuals and Atheists, but he's also said the church position is "clear" on the issues...)

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm intrigued, and look forward to seeing where he goes with some of his statements. Will he continue on this path or back down??? I'm enjoying the possibilities
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• He really doesn't affect you or your life in any way

That's incredibly short sighted. What he does trickles down to people who make very important decisions that impact everyone's lives.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• He's an improvement over what they had, but that's a bit like saying herpes is an improvement over AIDS.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• i think he is as compassionate and tolerant as a devote Catholic man can be without going against the Church. ppl who want him to say "gays are okay with the church" are being naive...he HAS to follow church doctrine which says homosexuality is a sin. from what ive read he is turning the focus away from the law and legality of Christian beliefs and focusing on the spirituality of it all. he isnt wearing the expensive, ostentatious clothing & accessories, he doesnt look/act like the evil emperor from Star Wars, and he comes off as honored as someone in his position should be, but rarely is. i hope this image of him remains the norm b/c it is so refreshing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• He has potential
    My husband joked that the Vatican is going to have him killed for his Liberal actions

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I've been wondering how the heck he managed to get elected pope, since his statements on a bunch of things have been way more kind, thoughtful, and philosophical than most of the views I can recall from his predecessors.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:03 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Why do you care? Just curious. He really doesn't affect you or your life in any way.

As for me I think the man has a compassionate spirit and can be a good leader. What a Pope says is not "law" it is guidance. The Cardinals and Bishops and Priest are supposed to take their lead from him BUT they are not bound to do anything that is not Canon law. There are instances where the Pope has the authority to change the laws but that is very very rare.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I'm with you, I haven't really made up my mind. I have mixed feelings because while he seems ready to modernize the Church, I find it har to respect a person who takes it upon himself to change his religion's dogmas to suit his needs. I'm all for religions embracing the modern world, but not at the expense of their moral parameters.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• "Why do you care? Just curious. He really doesn't affect you or your life in any way."

I care because it's interesting, because my job entails being aware of what's going on in religion in the world, because I was baptized Catholic and am still interested in what the Catholic church does even though I haven't considered myself Catholic in a long time. Trust me, I understand how the Catholic church works. I asked what people think about him because he is getting so much attention and because I am curious what people think about what he's saying/doing.
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Glad he is more down to earth. And does not act like a movie star.

Answer by louise2 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2013