Question for waitresses

I am going to apply for some server jobs. One place I almost got hired at decided not to because of my requested schedule which revolved around my sons school schedule. My friend offered to watch my kids while I'm at work (even be my son's car rider if necessary). So I will go ahead and open my availability to all day. I am a bit concerned though about money. As a server, even on slow nights, do you make enough in the week to pay a few bills? If your kid(s) are in childcare or watched by a sitter do you have enough to pay them as well? My friend is flexible. I personally don't plan to pay her less than $90 a week.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 11:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• I never waitressed but I think it would depend on where you were working. The more expensive the restaurant, the higher the tips. Think on average like at a Friday's restaurant with a family of 3 (no alcoholic beverages) you would make about $5 tip per table. Not that much even for 10 tables.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I work at Applebee's. What you make will vary widely depending on where you work and in what area. I work at night and on weekends when my husband can keep my kids. You generally also make more at night. I made $80 last night and another server left with $25, the others were in between. It depends on your section (4 top tables vs 6), what cut you are (1st cut or closing), and how good a server you are. I do really well on weekends, but Im also very good at what I do. Starting out you will likely get the worst sections/shifts. You will have to stick with it to see some real money.

Answer by missanc at 12:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2013