Is there anything that goes on in your house that someone without special needs kids wouldn't "get"?

My son needs to have his PJ's and clothes for the week set out at all times,or he thinks that he's not going to school,or his bedtime routine isn't going to go as planned.
He's still stuck on some routines,so we have to do things the same every time.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Special Needs

• yesterday when i clipped daughters nails (she is MUCH better about this)
    but i clipped over a bowl...MISTAKE!!
    she saw them all in the bowl and freaked at thought of me throwing them away
    so now i have to hide the bowl that i had them in last night, because if she sees that bowl- she will ask where they are, and when i tell her a chucked them- all hell will break loose

next time letting them fly free and vacuum can deal with it
    out of sight, out of mind

she better not insist on cutting them over a bowl again
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• My Son is quirky. He HAS to save all the boxes that his toys come in. We have all the boxes in the basement. He has a huge bag of Disney "Car's"boxes. Occasionally he asks for them & he puts all his cars back in the boxes & makes a store then pretends to shop for them again. He even checks the garbage can in the kitchen to make sure I never throw his boxes away. He also does imaginary "Youtube" videos explaining how his toys work & what they came with & what accessories you can get. You can hear him making like commercials for all his toys. He makes toy displays too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:33 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Well, my kindergartner is still having conversations about what she's planning to say to her brother when she goes to his mom's house for his eighteenth birthday party this weekend. He has Asperger's. She bought a $7.59 football with her piggy bank money for the two of them to share when he stayed at our house two weeks ago, and she's still mad that he took it home with him and didn't talk to her first. Fair enough. I can see why this is an issue for her at five years old, but it will also be an issue for him at eighteen. I hope to Almighty God that it won't turn into a big deal in front of his friends, and I'll do everything in my power to prevent a public confrontation. But with Aspies and five-year-olds, you never know. It can be a deadly mix, and I dread the possibilities.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Paulie, that's really creative! Maybe your son has a future career awaiting him in advertising. There's good money in that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I have to make seperate meals for my youngest. She refuses to eat certain textures, and will not eat meat at all. People say, "just make her eat what you fix"... yeah, tried that, the kid practically starved to death. It took me years to eat a casserole without gagging. For me, foods have to be seperate, cannot touch each other, and a swig of milk or water has to clear my pallet before taking a bite of another kind of food. Foods and flavors aren't allowed to mix. So because of that, I'm a lot more sensitive to dd's little issues with foods.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• My cousin's house (he'll be 40 soon, but this has been true since he was in pre-school). You can put a hot dog on a bun, and he'll eat it, but only if none of the bun sticks to the hot dog. If there's steam or the hot dog is at all wet, and that little bit of the bun sticks to it when it rolls around, it makes him gag and he can't eat it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• our sleeping arrangements. DH sleeps in what should be DS room because he has the biggest window and has gone out it before. DS sleeps in master bedroom,I sleep on couch. This way both the back and front of our home has an adult. we cannot make DS room the master BR it is only big enough for a twin bed,maybe a double. We have a queen!!
    Robin-Christine

Answer by Robin-Christine at 12:12 AM on Nov. 19, 2013