Does the government still give out that awful brick of cheese?

And the flour,rice,and gallon drum of peanut butter?
*shudder* bad childhood memories.....

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I remember someone did not like it and use to give it to my father. We had the best grilled cheese sandwiches with that govt cheese.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• The lady who lived behind us used to give my dad her block. I remember the brown cardboard. I think my dad was the only person who ate it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• No, but it would be a whole heck of a lot cheaper if they did that instead of handing out food stamps!

Answer by missanc at 2:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Never got any of that.... Did I miss out on something good?? LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Nope. You can thank the special interest lobbyists from the retail food industry for that. It used to be that the government subsidized dairy farmers, wheat farmers, rice farmers, and peanut farmers. The farmers would grow the food, the government would buy it process it, then give the commodities to the needy. Win-win for everyone. Then the lobbyists for the retailers worked it out so the government shifted the money over to where it went into food stamps instead. The needy paid retail prices to get their food from stores. The government still paid farmers to grow crops and produce milk, but instead of processing the food and handing it out, they had it plowed it under or dumped it. Lose-lose.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Awful? That cheese was coveted, still is now that it's gone.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:24 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• They are called commodities and yes USDA still gives them out to families all over the US
    mcdun

Answer by mcdun at 2:45 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• I'm surprised by all the no answers. YES the government still gives them out. FEMA is now in charge of giving them out to churchs, and foodbanks that hand the food out to the poor you can add canned peaches, potato flakes and blue berries to that list!
    mcdun

Answer by mcdun at 2:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• It gave us all the shits!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I use to get it a long time ago.

Answer by louise2 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 13, 2013