Staying dry though the night.

My three year old is potty trained. Except at night. I don't know if he can't feel it or just sleeps too hard or is too lazy to call me to help him.

How would you deal with this? Leave him in a night diaper? Deal with the cleanup each night until he can learn to wake up?

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 12:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I, personally, would set MYSELF an alarm clock for every couple hours... get up and take the kid to the bathroom.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I've been through this. Nothing you do can make him night train. You just drive yourself crazy. It can take years. Put him in a pull-up. That's why good nights go up to 100 pounds.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• It varies all over the place for when a child can be dry through the night. I know kids who have been 8, 10, even 12 before they do it. The body has to mature and you can not rush it. There should be no pressure of any kind. When his body matures he will do it. Keep him in the good nights or pull up until he is dry for at least two weeks consistently.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 2:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Thanks ladies...I was kind of leaning towards just riding it out. It is what we had to do to originally potty train him. It will come in time.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I would just leave him in pull ups. Night time is the hardest and all kids are different with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I totally agree with mompam. I tried the waking up take her, the letting her wet, the restricting liquids, over the coures of months. Finally, I talked to her dr. and he said not to sweat it and keep her in pullups until she's dry consistently. He added that length of time you'd have to restrict water to have it be effective is too long for her to go without a drink.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• well it is nice to hear that it is normal...i don't feel so bad putting him diapers now at night. I will wait it out...not in a big hurry as he just turned three in Sept.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2013