Has anyone ordered Thanksgiving dinner from a grocery store deli?

I'm seriously considering the idea this year because I just don't believe I have the energy or the clear thinking it would take to pull off all the cooking and the clean-up. If you ordered the dinner, where did you purchase it from? Did you like the taste? Did you feel the taste and convenience were worth the cost? Would you do it again?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Food & Drink

• honestly if I were in your situation I would just take all the cooking and do it over a couple of days instead of it being an all day event. Make any casseroles ahead and half bake them so they only need heated through. Mashed potatoes will keep and reheat well. Do a pan dressing instead of stuffing. Pies and desserts can be baked a couple days head. In cooperate a few cold dishes quinoa salad or fruit trays. Bake what you can in throw away, tin foil containers.

Buy nice heavy paper plates (let DD pick some cute Thanksgiving ones) and some plastic cups. All you have to do the day of is heat stuff up, cook a turkey, get a big trash bag and call it a day!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I'd rather just do a restaurant. Deli catered is still you doing a ton of work, they just put it in containers for you - you still have to heat it, serve it, and clean up after. If you're trying to avoid all that, do a restaurant, and buy some turkey lunchmeat, stuffing and mashed potatoes at the store to have fake leftovers for the weekend.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Kroger last year and it was not worth the money or the time it saved me, it was exactly like take out....nothing HOME like about it
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 4:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• We aren't doing turkey this year. None of us really like it much, so we are having a roasted chicken with the same kinds of sides. I'm good with that. We will still have leftovers but won't have to deal with the huge amounts of leftover turkey we won't end up eating.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Oh, and I have known people that have done this and it all depends on where you get it. How many people will be eating? Do you like the foods or is it all about tradition? How much of the leftovers will you end up eating if it's too big of a meal?

Honestly, I like some traditional aspects to the holiday, however when considering what it means to really be thankful I think the types of food matter less than being thankful for the things we have and what others have sacrificed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I think I'd rather just go out for dinner.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:38 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• The 1st Thanksgiving after I gave birth to my youngest (she was only a month old) my dad pre-ordered a complete Thanksgiving meal from Honey Baked Ham for us. It was okay. I still had to heat it up but, it was expensive. It costs much more than it would've been for me to cook the meal.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I ordered the whole darn dinner from Whole Foods for 80 bucks. I read good reviews and remember seeing people picking it up last year. We usually spend about 100 so I'm thinking this is a deal. Hopefully it tastes okay!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Yes, we got the whole dinner from a local grocery store. It was delicious. I think it was Shoprite. It definietly was worth it. I think you can just order the turkey too. That is what I dislike cooking. Cooking veggies and sides is no big deal.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I have very good helpers now that both the kids are old enough to help, and cooking Thanksgiving for just the four of us utterly wears me out even if I start in good shape, which I won't. Hubbs won't hear of my doing a pre-ordered/cooked meal, though.

Order from a grocery you trust. Serve from what they package the food in; don't transfer anything unless you're doing it for warming. Use paper plates and plasticware and plastic disposable cups, too. Make it easier on yourself so that you can enjoy the day, too.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 13, 2013