Asking to go to the bathroom at work...

weird question I know. I work in a daycare environment. I work with the toddlers and I come in at 8:00. I do not get a lunch break since I am off at 2:30-3:00. I leave my room at 1:00 to let another teacher go on break though. This is usually my only chance to pee all day! Usually I am fine, I mean have to GO but I'm fine. Sometimes I have to ask the director to come and let me go because I know I can't wait. This seems to frustrate her. What is the normal amount of time for someone to be expected to 'hold it' I always remember to pee before I start work at 8 and sometimes I just can't wait until 1:00. Sometimes (depending on how much I drink) I need to go BAD by 11:30-12:00! I get hot running after the toddlers so I drink a good bit of water not to mention what I drink with breakfast on the way to work. (I eat a boiled egg and have some juice on the way there)

Anyway seriously. How long is normal? Does she have every right to be frustrated when some days I just can't wait until 1?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Money & Work

• Here's this one again......
    Either quit your job, or quit coming here to whine.
    If nothing changes, nothing changes.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:11 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Again? Really? Someone else asked about this? Maybe it is normal in daycares... I am not about to quit my job over it. that is ridiculous. I just wondered if my boss was being petty or if I had a tiny bladder or needed to go to the doctor or something.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Seems to me you should be allowed to have a bathroom break after three hours or so. You could ask her if that is a problem. She might just think you are super woman!!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• So you're the only one in the room?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• yes I am the only one in the room right now because we are under ratio. I have 9-10 2 year old's by myself. One we get more enrolled I will have to have a co-teacher. I just started here in Sept. I am told we usually have 12-14 toddlers but numbers are low right now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Then how do you go to give the other teacher a break? You certainly do not leave you class alone.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:35 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• When I first started there the assistant director would come around and do 'breaks' most days around 10 or so to all of the classes. Now her hours have changed and I don't know who is doing it for the other classes... I don't ever see anyone coming around but then again I am too busy to notice what the other classes are up to.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• What state are you in? In my state, you can't work more than 5 hours without a half hour break.... And if you work 4 you have to have 15 minutes. So if your working 7 hours you need a 30 minute break in there. And no employer can deny you a potty break....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I am just kind of of the mind frame that if I need to pee then I need to pee and unless they want me to go home for the day they should probably let me! I have never been told no she just kind of sighs and says 'fine- I'll be there in just a minute' and is usually there with in 5-10 minutes. The way she says it makes me feel like I am out of line or being frustrating.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Get a Dr.'s note that says you need to use the bathroom after so many hours. It's not good for you to hold it too long.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2013