Can sugar or caffine have an affect on an unborn baby?

My son was born with a birth defect that had been undetected during pregnancy (ultrasound, blood testing, ect.) He is now almost 9 years old, he has autism, ADHD, sensory processing disorder, sever allergies and asthma.. I also have 2 daughters whom have none of the issues my son has... I am currently 23 weeks pregnant.. I was worried during every pregnancy but this time seems to be the worst! I stress my self out really bad thinking I can prevent these things. I am always worried that Im drinking too much soda or eating too much candy and it will effect the baby's brain or something.. I do drink 2 cans of Dr. Pepper a day, Im trying to cut it out of my diet and most days i'll only have 1 .. I did have the glucose test done and it was normal.... My kids have lots of Halloween candy and some days i feel like I just snack on the candy all day, again thinking it will have some effect on baby.. Other wise I eat pretty healthy, we don't do fast food and most meals i make are from scratch.. Am I being unrealistic? .. My hormones take over sometimes and I get real upset!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• yes
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I doubt to that extent. I think the older we get, the more we realize what can actually go wrong. You might just cut back to one can per day of soda....

Now if you were drinking Red Bulls every day, then I might be concerned...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:02 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• He didn't get all that from you ingesting soda. If that was true,most kids would have all that

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I heard it can.

Answer by louise2 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• I would say yes it's the caffeine in your pop that is the problem, if you are strong enough to have a but load of kids I think you can be strong enough to stop putting things with no nutritional value in your body for a few months. But also autism is one of those medical mysteries some say vaccines. fathers genes or lac of nutrition are the culprit but who knows. The safest thing is to not take chances.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• do not let your kids, especially your Spectrum child eat that crap candy

http://www.feingold.org/

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:12 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Yes they can, but they do not cause autism.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• The additives can have a dangerous effect, too. I couldn't tell you which specific issues they can all cause (there's so much research being done in this area still), but soda and candy aren't good for anyone, especially a fetus.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2013