How can I get notarized copies of my kids' birth certificates?

Can I just go to an ordinary notary and the person makes a copy of the original birth certificate and then notarizes it? I am thinking it might be more complicated but hopefully not.

Kim370

Asked by Kim370 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• Sealed copies come from the county where they were born. Depending what you need it for, you can ask if they'll accept a notarized copy, but many won't, because it's not the same as a county seal. It can vary from state to state and office to office, so find out what the place asking for it requires.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• NotPanicking is correct. you probably don't need a notarized copy, you can order a copy stamped with your official county seal to prove that it is a legal document.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• It depends on what you need this for as to how you need to handle it. I personally would be very leery of anyone who wanted my kids birth certificate.
    If this is for school, you should be able to walk it into the office (your official copy) and allow them to make a photo copy on the spot.

People do steal kids identities.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• If all you need is a notarized photo copy & NOT a "Certified" copy with a seal then you can have it notarized at any UPS Store. Call them to confirm the hours of their Notary & ask if you can bring copies yourself or do they have to make them for you.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:19 PM on Nov. 13, 2013