"Baby Bottle Tooth Decay"......

My oldest didn't take his bottle to bed after 1, actually he dropped his bottle at one and never wanted it again.. He doesn't drink out of the sippy or anything like that or take it to bed. He's been brushing he teeth since he has had teeth and I brushed his gums, yes occasionally we forget (I'm human, not perfect..) Well, recently his front teeth are starting to develop the "Baby Bottle Tooth Decay" and I had a nutritionist tell me it was my fault.... I'm not just going off of her saying that, but I feel like complete sh*t for his teeth doing this... And the dentist want to put him to sleep and undergo a sealant procedure.. I don't feel like children at two years old should have to go through that, I guess I'm just not up for surgery in children unless it is absolutely needed (I had an amputation when I was two), so I'm not saying I am against children with surgery, just things like that I guess...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My two front teeth were pulled at two because of milk rot. If the dentist says it's needed, I'd trust it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• A sealant is not surgery, but a 2 year old can not hold still long enough to do the sealing. Yes it is your fault. Sorry. You should never put a baby down with a bottle. Tooth rot is only one result. They generally have more ear infections as well. A child also can not adequately brush their teeth on their own at this age. You should be letting them learn and doing the "finishing up".
    If you do not address the problem in the baby teeth, you child has a very good chance that his permanent teeth will also be damaged.
    Get your child's teeth cleaned and sealed.
    But do not beat yourself up too badly. Parents have been doing this since the "bottle" came to be used.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• So you would rather his teeth rot and fall out than have him undergo this procedure? You do know this will cause issues with his permanent teeth right?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• If it needs done it needs done. Last year my son had a horrible cavity in one of his back teeth. I felt soo horrible because he never took a bottle to bed, we brushed his teeth, etc. but I felt like it was my fault. The dentist actually told me some kids have "bad teeth genes" and are more susceptible to cavities despite proper teeth brushing and cavities in young children aren't uncommon at all. My son was 4 then but I still bawled when they gave him the "silly juice" and carried him away all loopy. He was back to his normal self within hours of the procedure. It sucks to think of your little kid going through that but it's really no big deal. Some poor babies have to endure a lot worse.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• My ex's daughter was put to bed by her birth mom with a bottle of grape Kool-Aid every night. She got the sealant procedure, and it probably saved her teeth.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• You might get a second opinion. I would.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Well I was told by the actual dentist it probably wasn't because of a bottle or anything and that it was most likely in the genes. I'm bothered at people who blame parents like the people who told me it was my fault because even though the dentist reassured me - I still feel bad..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2013