I'm adopted and want to know my ethnicity, is there a test I can do, I'm curious.

I'm just going off of what my biological mother has told me and she hasnt always been the most honest person, and my biological father scares me and is just a junkie and I cant hardly believe a thing that comes out of his mouth. I've always been really curious about what I am and Wondering if there wAS a test or something of somesort that I could do without having to contact the biological family. Any ideas?

JuneBug828

Asked by JuneBug828 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 13, 2013 in Adoption

• Supposedly yes, there are now DNA tests that can tell you about your ancestry. I'm sure you can Google it.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2013

• Yes ,there is a woman in my birthparent -adoptee support group.She and her sister were dropped off at a church nursery about 45 years ago.They were 3 or 4 or 5 and of course couldn't spell their last names.They both were adopted by the same family but were always curious.Start with Ancestry .com they have a link and I think it is also called Family Tree.She now knows her sister is a half sister or niece or aunt.They both share some geographic links but not all ,they were put in contact with a lot of people and found a cousin ,3rd or 4th ,that has done lots of research.The woman in the group now has a picture of who may be her great-grandmother...they are twins in appearance.The dad is dead.They are upgrading to include Mitochondrial .6 months ago she knew nothing.She used only her DNA.

Good Luck.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• https://www.23andme.com/ is one of the companies that offer the service.

I'm not sure how it goes with ancestry profiling, but the profiles these companies create for health issues aren't 100% accurate. They only work with a small section of your genomic profile, so you can send your DNA to three companies and get three different results, because they are working with three different segments of your genome.

I would try to find independant sources to check to reliability of the testing before I sent them any money.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:27 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• http://www.genome.gov/10001772
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• I heard their is a blood test you can take. I costs though.

Answer by louise2 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• National Geographic also has a genome project where they test your DNA. https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:52 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• If they have a genetics test to see all the different breeds that are in your dog they Have to have something for people too!

http://dna.ancestry.com/?s_kwcid=dna+ancestry+com&o_xid=56188&o_lid=56188&o_sch=Search

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:52 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• I wish you luck and I have no helpful information.
    But you do not have t search to find who you are. You are right there in the mirror. Look inside yourself and you will see all you are and all you can become. Our ancestors do not determine who or what we are. We do.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• If you have Medical Insurance then the least expensive way to find out is to see a Genetic Specialist. All Hospitals have them. They will do a complete blood evaluation. They can also tell you if you have any genetic health issues too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Try "unknown father DNA" group on yahoo.
    Or any adoptee - centric group. "You know you're an adoptee when... ",
    "Land of Gazillion adoptees", "Lost Daughters", and many more.

Ask about their experiences with DNA testing before you spend the money.

Your post reminds me of a joke on Bastard Nation.
    Your invited to a themed dinner party. Your asked to bring a dish from your ethnic background.
    You bring mystery meat. :)

Sorry that adoption took this knowledge from you. It sucks!
    Good luck with your quest.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 4:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2013