• In the Spotlight:

ferber method

for those of you who have used this method, how old was your baby and did it work?? how long did it take to work??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I assume you're talking about the "cry it out" method of getting a baby to sleep through the night.

We did that with our son from day one. (Of course, if it was near a feeding time, he was awake because he needed to eat and we didn't count that as a "night wakening".)

Our son slept six hours without waking up by the time he was four months old. We formula fed him, so he wasn't as hungry as breast fed babies and that may have contributed to the speed of it working.

The first week is hardest. You really have to be strong and remember you're helping your child develop good sleep habits.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:02 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I tried it w/ my first, hated it. With my last 3, I didn't use it. My first will even say now, she will go to tell us something and say 'It doesn't matter, you won't care.' She has done that since she was a preschooler. She is now 11. If your baby cries longer than a week, and seems miserable, maybe you need to consider other things. My friend used it on all 3 of her kids and they seem fine but they are only preschool age now.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I could never do that and in response to timelessglass...my DD has been breastfed since she was born and she is now 6 months old and has slept thru the nite since she was 12 weeks old and has only cried a couple of times in 6 months when she was sick. I think its a terrible thing that you bring a baby into the world and then pretty much abandon her the day shes born. what a scary feeling and babies don't understand the concept of "good sleep habits" anyway. They understand love and security.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I tried the method and couldn't handle so we stopped. My son takes a pacifier and after I stopped BFing and began FFing he started sleeping over 6hrs at a time at night (4 months old). He will have his bad nights and good nights; but we have found that most of the time he just needs us to cover him back up or give him his pacifier and he is right back to sleep. Now that he is 9 months old he may cry for less than a minute before he is asleep. If he cries longer than that or is screaming, we go to him and try to find out what the problem is. Sometimes he just needs mom & dad (I think babies have nightmares too).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I would never. Babies cry for a reason. Sometimes that reason is that they just want to be held...that's ok. That's what mommies are for.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I used this method with my daughter when she was 6 months old. It worked in 2 days. And it took A LOT of stress off of me. But I personally wouldn't recommend it with a newborn. Babies are used to being held CONSTANTLY (in the womb) and then they're ripped out of their security blanket (the womb) and expected to sleep perfectly by themselves? I think that's evil. If a newborn is crying, it's for a reason. You can't spoil a newborn. So, if it's an older baby, I would try it, from personal experience. I guess it's up to you. But this is just my opinion.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 1:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Dr. Ferber himself says not to use his method before six months.

I did try it. Didn't work. What DID work...I stopped trying to set the sleep pace and let my son do what he would. He became a much better sleeper as a result of eliminating the sleep battle. Still wakes sometime in the middle of the night (at age nine) but it's no hassle and no worse than when you get up to use the bathroom. Heck...I wake up in the middle of the night every night too! And I don't get back to sleep as easily as he does.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2009