Speaking of lawyers and lame excuses.....

Don't know how many of y'all remember back in February I watched my daughter's then best friend get hit by a car as we were crossing the street, in the crosswalk, with the green.

The law firm that my friends hired FINALLY called me today. The first lawyer that started the case no longer works for the firm, an I guess I was one of the first people the new lawyer called.

The driver's insurance is trying to claim no fault on the driver's behalf. They're claiming that the child jumped out in front of the driver and it's the kid's fault for getting hit.This insurance had my conversation with them recorded, and I clearly said, more than once, that the drive was at fault.

This ought to be interesting now.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 12:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm glad someone finally called you. It shouldn't have taken this damn long.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• This knd of thing makes me mad. Where I live, according to the law, you must be in full control of your vehicle at all times ... and that includes when people step off the curb in front of you. In other words, if you hit someone there is no such thing as "no fault" only degrees of severity in the "punishment".

How I hate careless drivers! My then 70 yo invalid father was hit by a car when crossing the road. The road was straight for 3/4 mile so no problem of visibility. The driver was going too fast to stop when she finally saw him, said "the sun was in her eyes"... Seriously?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 5:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• I unfortunately have tried 4 different lawyers with my dealings with my ex. I have not been happy with any of them. It's no wonder there are so many lawyer jokes.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• These kind of cases can take years.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• How awful for your child to witness! I hope the inusrance will come to something quickly!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Yeah, this guy today told me the first one no longer worked there, and I just laughed. The same shit happened to me when I was trying to divorce my ex. Halfway through the proceedings she "no longer worked for the firm". Then, I found out that all the filing and work I'd paid her for over the previous 6 months never got done and the lawyer that took my case from her charged double what she did, and tried to bill me again. It was all a huge nightmare and took WAY longer than it should have for an uncontested divorce with no assets. The jerk wasn't cooperative, but didn't fight me over anything.

The only saving grace in that fiasco was that the friend that referred me to that firm was good friends with the partners.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 12:44 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Forgot to mention in the original posting, but the driver was given a ticket, on scene, for failing to yield to a pedestrian, or something like that.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• I hope so too. Since that day I've walked and rewalked that same path. We hit the button, and stood as far away from the curb as we could. We got the little walk guy, it took three of MY steps to cross the sidewalk, then we were 1-2 of MY steps into the crosswalk when the driver hit the little girl. That was about 5 seconds of time, from when we got green. Plenty of time to see 4 people standing on the corner.

The driver never saw us because she never looked in our direction.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2013