Elf on the Shelf questions!!

1. When do you introduce the elf?
2. HOW do you introduce him?
3. Do you leave the elf in the same spot all day??
4. I read that you can't touch the elf, are parents "allowed" to touch it? What if the dog grabs a hold of it and you have no choice but to touch it? ...Or a 2 year old won't leave it alone LOL.
5. Does the elf do something every single night? Or can you skip a night?

Thanks in advance for your replies! This will be our first time doing this, so I have lots of questions, LOL :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2013 in Holidays

• Our elf just appeared on the breakfast nook one morning with a note to our sons saying he was there to keep a out for Santa Claus.
    I've never heard of not touching it, someone has to move him around.
    At our house I would wait until the boys went to bed, then I would move Elf to various locations for the boys to look for him.
    Elf was in the bathroom, once he was in the freezer because he missed the North Pole.
    It's your elf, you do what you want with him.
    Our elf was a mischievous elf, lol
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 12:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• 1. Ours comes on Dec 1st.
    2. Ours came with a book so we just read that. i think theres a Christmas cartoon too.
    3. Ours stays in the same spot all day b/c his job is to watch the kids for Santa to make sure they are behaving.
    4. No one touches him (wink wink) If he gets touched he loses his magic and cant fly home to Santa. Since my kids are little we always put the elf up high so they (or our dog) cant get to him. there are a ton of ideas online for how to "fix" your elf in case he gets touched.
    5. Ours moves every night, but its not always a major thing. some times he just moves from a cutesy thing to the top of the tree. it just depends on how busy/tired DH and i are haha.

the great thing about the Elf is you can make up whatever rules you want and do it however you want!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:13 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Was clicking "anon" absolutely required for this question?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• I really think we are going to do this this year. I had never heard of it until right before Christmas last year.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• same as above and you can google things to do with your elf, one night ours camped out with Ken and Barbie
    one day we woke up and she was in bed with tissues, poor thing had a cold
    she made messes sometimes lol

its fun and it really did keep lo in line, I am ready to bring the elf home NOW
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 1:52 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• They creep me out. We don't do elf on the shelf. We do behave or you won't get anything. Lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2013

• It's cute and all but I feel like I was using someone's tradition when I tried it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2013