my 18 yr old daughter is in high school and ran away. do I have parental rights?

j3bnh0

Asked by j3bnh0 at 1:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• If she is 18 she is an adult and you have no rights to do anything about bringing her home. After 48 hours you can file a missing person if you thing she is being held against her will.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• No...Her leaving on a greyhound bus in the middle of the night was her choice. She is returning to a location in the US we lived 1 yr ago because she misses her friends and popularity in that area. I just want her to be patient and finish her schooling here living with her parents.
    j3bnh0

Comment by j3bnh0 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• sorry,no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Then no sorry. There is nothing you can do except try to keep the lines of communication open.
    I would have done everything in my power to have allowed her to stay and finish her last year of high school. My parents did it way back when and my brother stayed with another family those last 4 months.
    Senior year is very important to most kids.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• 18 y o is an adult where I live. She just decided not to live with you anymore.

Answer by louise2 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• she is an adult and though it would be best for her to complete school, there really isn't anything you can do. the only thing you can do is to keep communication lines open. hopefully she will at least get her GED at some point. its difficult and painful when our adult kids make decisions that we know are not the best choices. I hope that you can still keep in touch with her and let her know you will be there for her still.
    toogoodforher

Answer by toogoodforher at 2:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2013

• Give her time she will be back.. I've seen a lot of girls turns 18 & think they're adults but wait till reality hits!! Than it's back to mom they go, my daughter did worse dropped out her last year of high school ran away with a 21 year old man who showed her hoe to steal and rob people after months of her being a bum in the streets and him robbing people & stealing from stores he finally got arrested! And so did she for shoplifting ! So you have to patient I know it's hard I've been there! The biggest mistake I made was going out & looking for her I should of just let her fall on her face but It took me a while to leave her alone you must be strong and show her you will not accept her behavior in your house let her leave but just be there for her if she calls give her advise, thats all you can do because the more you ask her to come home the worst she gets . Tough love is what works from my experience.. Good luck 💝
    Momlove4eva

Answer by Momlove4eva at 11:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Nope I know it sucks
    Jeenmone

Answer by Jeenmone at 6:23 AM on Sep. 10, 2014