If your child brought this home...

What would your thoughts be? (referring here to the line about God being on their side)

I'm not upset or anything, just wondering what other parents would think (ds is in K).

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's correct in context, but it's a context not all kids will understand. Here's how I see that playing out if DS had been in that class:
    What's God?
    Teacher hamfists an answer

DS comes home - tells me his 5 year old's version of the hamfisted answer, leaving me trying to backtrack and figure out what the teacher actually said, then re-explain it to him in ways he'd understand.

He decided entirely of his own volition that he was an atheist when he was 7 or 8, but at 5, those conversations were always a headache, usually because whatever he was told at school (in his case, by other students) was so exclusive and absolute.

They got it from a website, and probably didn't even register with them that that phrase was on there, but I can't see it being approved simply because it's extra hoops teachers don't really have time to jump through if it sidetracks their class.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Well I would assume the Pilgirms did think that "God was on their side."
    That is why they took the boat over here, I wouldn't be offended by the book, it is the Pilgrim's history, not mine or my kids.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Well, that's kind of what school is about, teaching the children things they might not know about. The truth is the pilgrims came here because of religion, and as long as they are not teaching the children that they should believe in God, it's a history issue not a religious issue. The page doesn't say that "God was on the pilgrim's side" it says "they felt that God was on their side".

I think that this was okay, not taking a side, or preaching, just telling the story. No different than if they are told a story from Greek Mythology or a story of Indian Lore. This is all part of our history.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Most of the information my kids had regarding the pilgrims in K-4th grade was pretty generic. No religion was mentioned, but history wasn't changed either. They just mentioned pretty basic stuff. Now, once they got to about 5th grade, they studied all kinds of religions in social studies, and so it was also mentioned that pilgrims were religious, what religion they practiced, and why they came over here. But... at that age, and after a unit on world religions, they could probably understand the concept better than a 5 or 6 year old could. So I guess I just don't see the need to explain the religious aspect to young kids, who are pretty black and white about everything at that age. Religion is such a gray area that it would be difficult for both the teachers and parents to explain.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• I wouldn't be upset, but I would kind of think wtf? My kids all attended Catholic school for Kindergarten, and even there I never saw anything like that unless is was part of religion class. So if this is in a public school, I'd think it was a little weird.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• That was a part of the pilgrims life. I have no idea who wrote the page or when but it does not seem like anything but history to me.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• I think my kids would give that about as much thought as they do the rote memorization of the Pledge of Allegiance and whatever pledge they give Texas every day. Me? I'd wonder but it wouldn't surprise me because, Texas.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Well, since this doesn't seem to be something between the pilgrims and the Indians, more between the pilgrims and the elements, it probably wouldn't bother me too much.

Is this from public school? I can see how it might bother some people.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Meh, I wouldn't mind because the Pilgrims were a religious bunch. I completely agree with NP's above answer, though. My DD would be peppering the teacher with questions, and in every scenario of answer I can think of, DD answers," REALLY?" Because any explanation would be a pretty foreign idea to her as we are not religious...at all.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• I would call it fairly accurate. That is nothing but another fact. The pilgrims were very religious and I am sure they did feel God was on their side.
    Anonymous