Teacher calls my cell...not sure if I just leave this alone or not? Advice? A bit long, sorry.

She says she spoke harshly to my son today but apologized to him after class. She emphasized "harshly." He asks a lot of "why" ?'s she said and it bothers her. Evidently he asked about filling out phone/address forms and my son asked her why they needed to do this because "my parents like their privacy." We have specific reasons for this (a stalker) so we've taught both kids not to fill out stuff and that we'll fill out appropriate paperwork. This is a science teacher, so not his homeroom one. Homeroom teacher encourages being inquisitive and will banter with the kids and has endless patience. And I stated this on the phone.

So ds says she seemed to fold into tears after snapping at him about why he was asking why- and that he always has a "why" question and it bugs her to the point she wants to QUIT HER JOB and have the principal come in and teach the class. This is the first I've ever heard of him being so inquisitive, so I'm surprised but maybe he is bugging the hell out of her, there is no way for me to know.

Then at the carpet she yelled about it again in front of the whole class. She was explaining why she needed the paperwork filled out and then it sounds like the thought set her off again. She singled ds out and bitched again about not getting all the contact information and so THAT is WHY it was being done and do you get it now, Matthew? (my son).

My kid has told me about her before for having a short fuse with other students. My friend interviewed her for the job and did NOT recommend her to the Principal but the Principal said she was getting a job no matter what (grouchy science teacher is a new breast cancer survivor-which is sad cause that must be a tremendous thing to go through), so my friend let it go as the principal had her mind set. Obviously a job was vital and that part isn't my business. I don't know if it's medication causing her to have a short fuse but she was moved from 2nd grade to fifth grade this year. Friend interviewed her before she took the 2nd grade job.

Anyway, son has let it roll off his back apart of being embarrassed and a lesson has been learned about questioning authority (I guess) and she apologized but didn't quite tell me she berated him in front of his peers. Next year, my other son has a chance to get her and if she can't deal with my good kid, she'll definitely not be able to deal with my other kid. That just cannot happen. So, how do I make sure my other son doesn't get this lady? Do I have a talk at the end of the year with the Principal and just document what happened today? That is my current plan. Or do I just let it go and hope my other kid doesn't get her next year? He has a 1 in 3 chance. I get being annoyed with kids but this lady can't deal with them and it's her job. Thoughts? Thanks.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 8:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldn't wait until the end of the year. I would definitely have a talk with the principal now. It's hard to document things that happened months earlier.

I feel for the teacher if she's going through so much, but maybe teaching isn't the right position for her right now.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• I'd stay on top of what's happening now, and definitely be in communication with the school that you do not want your next child to be in her class.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• You have the upper hand here. Document this & if there is another incident then go right to the Principal immediately. For now just let it rest. In my Son's school, right before the end of the year there is a form you can fill out with your concerns for the upcoming year & why you think he would be better with a specific type of Teacher etc. So I'd clearly state the incidents your child had with this specific teacher and say you think it would be in everyone's best interest for your other child NOT to have this Teacher as you think there would definitly be a personality conflict like she had with your older child. If there is no form like that in your School then write a clear & to the point letter to the Principal stating this & mail it return receipt requested for an extra oomph! GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• You document what happened now...don't wait. She sounds too stressed to do this job!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2013

• Okay, thanks you guys. I agree, she is stressed out and it's sad.
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2013