Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If my mom isnt using my SSDI checks properly can i convince the people at social service to put my name on the check instead of her?

I'm 16 and 8 months pregnant and i recive disability checks for my short term memory loss. My mother has recived the checks in her name because Iwas too young to cash a check by myself. Now that Iam pregnant Ineed that money to get stuff for the baby and possibly move out. She won't let me get my ID and she won't give me my social security card in fear that ill take the money from her. She has used MY check to get weed and drink, she never spends the money on things we need but only what she wants. 8ve been wearing the same clothes for 4 years. She only gives me 60 d llars if I'm lucky for the baby. Also every time i ask for more she will always agrue she doesn't have money to spare. I'm sick and tired of her controlling ways and I need that money to help support me and my daughter until this job comes through.I wanted to see if I go up social services will they let my name be put on the check because of my moms actions

Answer Question

Asked by malaya271 at 8:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2013 in Special Needs

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • No,but they may be willing to assign you a different guardian for your checks

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

  • I believe it is the LAW that everyone over the age of 16 has a legal state issued ID on them.

    If what you're saying is true, I would absolutely do my best to get control of your SSDI. Good luck sweetie, it sounds like you'll be a responsible mom.

    Answer by ohwrite at 8:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

  • The ID thing depends on the state
    Here kids use their school ID until they get a driver's license,and at 18 if they don't have a license,they can get a state ID,but you don't have to have one by law

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

  • Here you are not required to have an ID.

    Answer by Dardenella at 8:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

  • You might remember that it also is used to put food in your mouth and a roof over your head and medical bills.

    Answer by Dardenella at 8:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

  • Go there (Social Security Disability Office) today & ask in person.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

  • If you are living with her probably not. They might assign a different guardian for the checks, all you can do is go ask.

    Answer by missanc at 9:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

  • If it is assigned for memory loss, that may make them assign to another person for fear that you wont remember what to pay etc. Go ask.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

  • Do you have a case worker? Where is the baby's father at? You can call social services and speak to someone, but if they feel you are competent to care for a baby, and manage your own money, you might lose your disability. If in fact you are able to live on your own, care for a child and pay your bills, they are going to assume you should be able to work.

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

  • Once you actually give birth you are technically emancipated... so yes you can get the checks changed once you give birth. But for now you REALLY need to talk to someone in the family court for help and advise!!

    Answer by Crafty26 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.