Yuletide

Just an odd little thing I noticed looking at the sheet for DS's school Christmas program (yes, public schools still have Christmas programs and still sing Christmas music - contrary to some very loud opinions, nobody's been oppressed).

One of the songs has a line about "welcoming the Yuletide". When these songs are taught in churches, is it ever explained that Yule is a Heathen holiday and has nothing to do with Christmas? Do they still lie to people and tell them it's just another word for Christmas?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wouldn't that be bringing in religion into the classroom?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

Yep. Happens all over the country, because there are places were religion is a logical part of curriculum - specifically music, art and literature. Probably comes as a shock to those who insist that prayer is banned in schools. Now, as to my actual question?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• I never knew what Yuletide was until I read your post, I assume that just like I have thought for 40 years it is explained as another word for the Christmas season.
    I am shocked they have a holiday program in a public school. When my kids went to public they never had any sort of holiday program at all.
    Just curious do they call the break at the Holidays, Christmas break or Winter break?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 9:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• Yeah,they're taught that Yuletide is the time leading up to Christmas Eve/Day

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• I remember being taught that Yule/Yuletide is the Christmas season. The kids have not been taught anything specific at school, but we are teaching them at home that Yule is a Heathen holiday and will talk about how other Pagans have used Yule in their traditions.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• Just curious do they call the break at the Holidays, Christmas break or Winter break?

The break is winter break, this is called a "holiday concert", and there's only one overtly Christian song (ironically, the one with Yuletide in it). Their music teacher is Jewish, so it's not like she's pushing an agenda. What they're singing now is a lot more secular than when I was in school - I remember one year helping color the pictures that would be held up during different songs, and I spent a whole week coloring in a poster board of Mary at the manger.

The entirety of recorded Western music for a period of about 3-400 years is sacred music, specifically Christian sacred music, because anything else was illegal. It can't be whitewashed from history, no matter how despicable the actions of the church were in that part of history, because it's still integral to the foundations of music.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• I do not know when I learned that Yule was a heathen or pagan holiday. Maybe 6th grade in the history of the Church (first time through)
    You are quite right that in many areas Being anything except Catholic (at least that anyone else would know) was illegal.
    That certainly was not world wide.
    Yuletide and Christmas time and winter break are all relatively at the same time and are often used interchangeably.
    Do people know the difference? I do not know. I never asked.
    Here it is called winter break.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2013

• its taught as another word for the time of year...so much so that ive heard kids AND adults refer to it as YuleTIME. ive never had anyone mention anything about Yule in church growing up, but then i belonged to a denomination that considered Christmas to be Pagan and wasnt celebrated (by the conservative members). we never sang Christmas songs at church except Joy to the World & Silent Night...and never anywhere near Christmas time (its really humorous in a sad way).

anyways, i dont think anyone in public school is taught what Yule really is...its just an old timey word for Christmas that doesnt get you a phone call from angry parents.

oh and ours is called Winter Break, but DD's school has a Holiday Pageant that is 99% Christmas music. the kids can opt out of it (performing and viewing) which is probably how they get around the religious aspects of it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2013

• In Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian the word for Christmas is Jul, it is Jol i Icelandic (all pronounced Yule). I found that interesting.

ncale

Answer by ncale at 3:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2013

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2013